Sealing poured foundation wall

Rate this topic

Ginzo2323

Maybe some one can help me. I’m redoing my basement. As of now I have never gotten water in my basement. I have a poured foundation not blocks. Can I still use dry lock product or just let it be. Should I do a skim coat of hydraulic cement in stead. Any recommendations would be great.

A dehumidifier is addressing symptoms of the problem and not the problem itself which is moisture infiltration from the exterior. The foundation exterior should have been treated with waterproofing prior to backing and filling. Downspouts should discharge away from the house. Any low areas that pond should be filled in and properly graded. Same goes for the 5-10 feet around the house: it should be graded so that water runs away from the house. French drains work but are expensive. Fill any exterior foundation cracks with a quality concrete caulk and repair structural interior cracks with a DIY epoxy injection kit. Poured foundations are prone to cracking as a house settles.

As for the inside, yes, Drylok can help but it's not a permanent solution as it will eventually flake off if the underlying foundation is continuously wet. When it comes to water infiltration, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

3 hours ago, HardyG said:

A dehumidifier is addressing symptoms of the problem and not the problem itself which is moisture infiltration from the exterior. The foundation exterior should have been treated with waterproofing prior to backing and filling. Downspouts should discharge away from the house. Any low areas that pond should be filled in and properly graded. Same goes for the 5-10 feet around the house: it should be graded so that water runs away from the house. French drains work but are expensive. Fill any exterior foundation cracks with a quality concrete caulk and repair structural interior cracks with a DIY epoxy injection kit. Poured foundations are prone to cracking as a house settles.

As for the inside, yes, Drylok can help but it's not a permanent solution as it will eventually flake off if the underlying foundation is continuously wet. When it comes to water infiltration, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The good thing I don’t have any water coming in. I do need to fix some spots for sure. The house was built in the 50’s so waterproofing the exterior in unknown. Yes all my down spouts are away from the house. Grading I definitely keep a eye out for for sure. Thanks for that info hardy G for any cracks.

Instead of starting a new thread, would the sealers mentioned be good for this wall? I patched some of the broken concrete and need to seal it. Previous owner had a thick coat of something on it and slowly peeling in small sections. ( The colors in blue)

IMG_20200906_114319535.jpg

IMG_20200906_114307316.jpg

A friend of mine who introduced me to thoroughseal used in in an old root cellar over all that old stone.  It looked great and lasted.

I'm no my expert but I don't see why not.

I would wire brush the stone, wipe it down with wet rags to remove dust, then follow the directions.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:00 PM, NJTramcar said:

A friend of mine who introduced me to thoroughseal used in in an old root cellar over all that old stone.  It looked great and lasted.

I'm no my expert but I don't see why not.

I would wire brush the stone, wipe it down with wet rags to remove dust, then follow the directions

Found only one product at Lowe's. This only comes in White form. Looking online the 581 might have other color but mixing is different. The color I have is light blue..... Can I paint over it after the coating dries?

IMG_20200913_151947491.jpg

Maybe look at tinting it.  I don’t think you paint over thoroseal 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black