Guide layout for VS300

Rate this topic

Clbay1971

Need some help building a lamiglas GSB150 mh2 using aVS300. I plan on using 60-80# braid and throwing 8&B. Game plan is fishing for medium sharks,Drum and sturgeon when at home. Not sure what guide setup to use but I would like long distance. Been looking at other post here and some are saying to take 3” off tip for throwing heavier weights. Blank is 12’6” and plan on using Fuji titanium guides. Would also like input on what reel seat is best for the VS300. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks Christian 

2 hours ago, Clbay1971 said:

Need some help building a lamiglas GSB150 mh2 using aVS300. I plan on using 60-80# braid and throwing 8&B. Game plan is fishing for medium sharks,Drum and sturgeon when at home. Not sure what guide setup to use but I would like long distance. Been looking at other post here and some are saying to take 3” off tip for throwing heavier weights. Blank is 12’6” and plan on using Fuji titanium guides. Would also like input on what reel seat is best for the VS300. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks Christian 

Why not conventional? Seems silly to me, a vs 300 has to be twice the weight as 2 abu 7500 series which imo are the right choice for that blank. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

18 hours ago, Terry Mac said:

Why not conventional? Seems silly to me, a vs 300 has to be twice the weight as 2 abu 7500 series which imo are the right choice for that blank. 

I grew up with spincast and spinning reels and I own 3 newer conv. with breaking systems and still prefer a spinning reels. I’m also getting lazier and starting to enjoy the view of the water, catching fish is starting to become a bonus. Sit back with a cold beverage and a stogie waiting for a bite now that’s living. I have seven VS300 and want a nice rod set up just for them. 

26 mins ago, Clbay1971 said:

I grew up with spincast and spinning reels and I own 3 newer conv. with breaking systems and still prefer a spinning reels. I’m also getting lazier and starting to enjoy the view of the water, catching fish is starting to become a bonus. Sit back with a cold beverage and a stogie waiting for a bite now that’s living. I have seven VS300 and want a nice rod set up just for them. 

Understood, that blank is great. I have used one for many years as conventional. I dont see why it wouldnt work with the 300 for 8 & bait. Im not too sure if you are going to find somone fishing this exact combo so taping and test casting should be in order. Guys here can definitely help steer you in the right direction. Good luck. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

Just now, Terry Mac said:

Understood, that blank is great. I have used one for many years as conventional. I dont see why it wouldnt work with the 300 for 8 & bait. Im not too sure if you are going to find somone fishing this exact combo so taping and test casting should be in order. Guys here can definitely help steer you in the right direction. Good luck. 

Thanks, I don’t really hear anyone fishing that size. Was just hoping that someone recently built a rod for it and could shed some light! I’ve got plenty of time if not I’ll bring it down to Florida and have it built down there. Really no need whatsoever for a rod that long in Minnesota. Thanks Terry Mac for input 

This is a unique request. Have no exp. with this GSB and the VS 300.

I would set this up by starting with a Fuji 40 k because of the size of the 300’s spool about 30” out from the spool and work down from there, This should also give you hand clearance in the fore grip area if the rod should bend deep.

Either way you are going to spend a fortune on titanium guides as you will need a dozen give or take.

For a reel seat you might want to go aluminum.

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

This is a unique request. Have no exp. with this GSB and the VS 300.

I would set this up by starting with a Fuji 40 k because of the size of the 300’s spool about 30” out from the spool and work down from there, This should also give you hand clearance in the fore grip area if the rod should bend deep.

Either way you are going to spend a fortune on titanium guides as you will need a dozen give or take.

For a reel seat you might want to go aluminum.

Believe me this is helpful. With so many ideas to choose from I’m going to put some time in before I get started on building this rod. I was thinking of aluminum seat but I haven’t seen any on a surf rods. But then no factory rod will have them because of cost. My thought is if building a rod put the best stuff on it and enjoy it when a fish is on you’ll forget about the cost.

4 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

you can use a 30k with this and do and ngc layout. i have built many sirf rods like that for 275's. just start around 34" inches from the extended spool. if you do go with a 40, you probably wont need the high from i would go with the 40l , 25, 16 ...

Thanks I found  a concept layout for 12’ by Fuji on mudhole site . It’s using mnsg I plan on using KW series but will have to check if the same in height. I’ve been working on reel seat location and starting to realize that I’m putting to much thought into the whole build. Thanks for the recommendation