shaller

Anyone fish 6K reels in the Canal?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a combo to throw some heavier plugs (TFO 10'6 2-6) and trying to get a reel to match. The 8000k gosa feels like a brick on such a light rod while the 6000 seems to balance very nicely. Any reason why I can't get away 6000k? 22 lbs of drags and 250 yds 40 lb line of seems to sufficient but I could be completely wrong.

23 mins ago, shaller said:

I'm putting together a combo to throw some heavier plugs (TFO 10'6 2-6) and trying to get a reel to match. The 8000k gosa feels like a brick on such a light rod while the 6000 seems to balance very nicely. Any reason why I can't get away 6000k? 22 lbs of drags and 250 yds 40 lb line of seems to sufficient but I could be completely wrong.

You can get away with a 6000 but not without consequences. On a good cast you will dump out half your line, god forbid a big fish hits on the end of your cast and gets in the current. Bigger spools mean less friction on the spool lip which should translate into longer casts. 

You can find plenty of 8-10k sized reels that are less bulky than a gosa 8k. I have an older sustain 10K, stella 10K and a Ultegra 5500 that have way bigger spools but still feel far less clunky than a 8K gosa. Then there's Daiwa... I use a Catalina/Isla 4000 (same size as a Shimano 6000) and find it a bit too light for most canal duty. Do able, yes. Optimal, not even close.

43 mins ago, shaller said:

I'm putting together a combo to throw some heavier plugs (TFO 10'6 2-6) and trying to get a reel to match. The 8000k gosa feels like a brick on such a light rod while the 6000 seems to balance very nicely.

I have the TFO 10'6", 2-6oz rod paired up with  the 8K 'Gosa.

I love that setup as my jigging rod.

Edited by zak-striper

I have the same TFO with a 10K. Guess I'm in the old school "bigger is better for jigging" category, and the larger reel never really bothered me. YMMV

4 hours ago, shaller said:

I have the 600k Gosa on a MOJO 10'6" 2-6...

Love the match up........

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

I have the same TFO with a 10K. Guess I'm in the old school "bigger is better for jigging" category, and the larger reel never really bothered me. YMMV

That’s fair. I’ve just always been of the opposite. Trying to get away with the lightest gear as possible. If this was a dedicated jig set up I would absolutely go with an 8k sized reel but this is going to be more of a general duty rod. Maybe I’ll just suck it up..

30 mins ago, unskunk said:

I have the 600k Gosa on a MOJO 10'6" 2-6...

Love the match up........

I have the 3/4-4 and a 6k as my beach plugging workhorse but I only ever put 30lb braid on it. Assuming you use heavier line in the canal, do you ever deal with mine capacity issues?

I put a gosa 6000 on a 10’ Legend for my 12 year old son this season. He winched in a few fish in current and the reel was no longer smooth. Too bad, because it was sweet when I bought it. 

14 mins ago, ged said:

I put a gosa 6000 on a 10’ Legend for my 12 year old son this season. He winched in a few fish in current and the reel was no longer smooth. Too bad, because it was sweet when I bought it. 

I didn’t really think that the main gear in the 6k would be great that fragile. Or maybe you’re covertly telling me to buy a Stella lol

3 hours ago, shaller said:

I have the 3/4-4 and a 6k as my beach plugging workhorse but I only ever put 30lb braid on it. Assuming you use heavier line in the canal, do you ever deal with mine capacity issues?

I fished a 1-4 10' mojo with a 6k gosa with 30 pound braid in the canal with 50# fluro as a leader. I caught 44 bass over 40", and one over 50# during the craziness a few years ago, where it was essentially elbow to elbow. The only fish that gave me issue was a foul hooked one. The biggest thing I was tossing was a 4 ounce jig head with a 9" sluggo on it.

10 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I have the TFO 10'6", 2-6oz rod paired up with  the 8K 'Gosa.

I love that setup as my jigging rod.

Agreed, reels like the Gosa in the 8k or 10K size are ideal for the canal. The ditch just isn't the right environment for light gear.

2 hours ago, CTFishingMan said:

I fished a 1-4 10' mojo with a 6k gosa with 30 pound braid in the canal with 50# fluro as a leader. I caught 44 bass over 40", and one over 50# during the craziness a few years ago, where it was essentially elbow to elbow. The only fish that gave me issue was a foul hooked one. The biggest thing I was tossing was a 4 ounce jig head with a 9" sluggo on it.

We fished nearby each other during a few of those blitzes. Those were some incredible bites :th:

when I fish the canal I use a shimano sustain 6000 with 40 lb power pro,and a shimano stradic 6000/8000 fi and have never had a problem landing fish up to 50 lbs.have caught hundreds of 30 lb fish in the canal never a problem.the stradics are 15 years old and still work fine.