Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Basic question hook up or down

or different scenarios. 

blues single hook up

bass belly treble single hook down

thoughts? Is there a right way or wrong way

9BD925B9-6D11-47F2-BFC2-86A26B0439A3.jpeg

Pointed down. If you point it up, it impacts the action and your hookup ratio goes down. The fish is coming from underneath to grab the plug, so you want the hook point to be as easily exposed as possible.

18 mins ago, ASrod said:

Pointed down. If you point it up, it impacts the action and your hookup ratio goes down. The fish is coming from underneath to grab the plug, so you want the hook point to be as easily exposed as possible.

Good point. I fished the yellow the way you saw it this morning and hooked up on every hit i got. (Bluefish).  

im just curious if i am wrong or its preference 

Just now, Goldy said:

Good point. I fished the yellow the way you saw it this morning and hooked up on every hit i got. (Bluefish).  

im just curious if i am wrong or its preference 

I know some plug builders do it on gliders and other plugs but I can’t imagine any reason to do it on a popper. To each his own I guess....

24 mins ago, ASrod said:

I know some plug builders do it on gliders and other plugs but I can’t imagine any reason to do it on a popper. To each his own I guess....

Thx. Im curious to know what others think

49 mins ago, ASrod said:

I agree,,,,

HH

I actually tried both ways on some different plugs earlier this year. I feel like the hook being down helped to dig and create that wonderful wobble action, where as the hook up seemed to not dig/wobble as much. Coeffecient of friction maybe? Lol. Also my other thought being fish coming up from below no reason to make work harder for it or have them go 180 degrees around the plug to get the hook. Pretty sure there is some really good older threads about hook sizes regarding siwash and trebles on SS plugs. 

For stripers, I use no hook on the back. Just a bucktail flag is needed. 

For blues, obviously a treble hook in the back is needed and no hook on the front.  

For blues, I like a single siwash on back with the barb pinched down. It's quicker and easier to unhook them with a single, and it;s not like they won't hit it again if they fail to hook themselves on the first crack at it.

A rear single hook on a popper or stickbait is almost always pointed up where I am. But it possibly doesn't make much difference whether up or down. 

13 hours ago, Steg said:

A rear single hook on a popper or stickbait is almost always pointed up where I am. But it possibly doesn't make much difference whether up or down. 

Where are you located?

im getting mixed messages. 

when you replace inlines on swimming ones like sps and mags owner hooks tell u to point up

I have had a problem with inline hooks pointed up on poppers and swimmers. A lot of times the resulting hook up is coming out the top of the fishes head very close to the eyes of both stripers and blues. I have since changed exclusively  to point down for both inline and siwash and still experience solid hookups that  seem better for the fish.