Patrick9915

Pencil Popper

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Last time I checked in, I was making darters.  However, due to time constraints and the fact that I don't fish a lot of darters, I have put that on the back burner.  I have moved onto pencil poppers for the time being.  I fish them a lot more than darters and I don't think it's going to take nearly as much testing.  

So here we go.  Like usual, I took some pictures and used them as reference in Blender.  I modeled the lure all out and then split it in half since this is going to be created in a two part mold.  One of the things I had to consider is the bounding box where I would cast the actual mold.  At first I was going to do Plaster of Paris but because the mouth of the popper as such a severe undercut, I am going to have to use something more flexible such as silicone.  

pencilpopper.PNG.1ca992e3b4d1769dfd75deb8e2e836f1.PNG

Note the nub on the belly of the lure.  When there is a negative in the mold, this negative will be filled with a plastic cylinder as seen in the second image.  This will create a hole for the swivel to be mounted once the lure is cast.

pencilpopper2.png.990223b6b926124bbcad16687755899c.png

I will also be printing the drag and cope (the box outside that will contain the mold material).  This is also a two piece.  Everything aligns with peg holes.  Both the lure itself and the drag and cope.  I have created two indents as a guide for me to drill a hole for the wire right through the mold.  This is going to allow me to run a wire through the lure before casting and then I can put a nice egg sinker on the wire.  Once the lure itself cures, I can yank the wire out and run the true through-wire.pencilpopper3.png.02dff8a68b7eff6a874b0f4558732735.png

I am going to get this print done today.

44 mins ago, Brother Brian said:

Don't forget to make them sink.

I think what I'm going to do is make it sit vertical with about 1.5" - 2" sticking out of the water.  Because of the shape of the body, I think the largest egg sinker I can use is 1.5oz.  I need to mess with the density of the plastic to achieve the right buoyancy. 

13 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

I think what I'm going to do is make it sit vertical with about 1.5" - 2" sticking out of the water.  Because of the shape of the body, I think the largest egg sinker I can use is 1.5oz.  I need to mess with the density of the plastic to achieve the right buoyancy. 

That's about right. Either that or a verrrrry slow sink.

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

Good luck yanking the wire out after it's cured.

Something I've considered. Get the wire as straight as possible and generously coat it in mold release. 

51 mins ago, Patrick9915 said:

Something I've considered. Get the wire as straight as possible and generously coat it in mold release. 

Or mold your finish wire in place at injection..

I make mine out of wood, so I'm a little confused.

Are you using a 3D printer?

Will it float?

Are you weighting it?

My apologies if you've already answered these questions. I don't come around here much.

Edited by Sparky

12 mins ago, Sparky said:

I make mine out of wood, so I'm a little confused.

Are you using a 3D printer?

Will it float?

Are you weighting it?

My apologies if you've already answered these questions. I don't come around here much.

I am using a 3d printer to design and print the pattern. Then I am making a mold of that pattern and casting it out of more durable plastic. 

Yes, I will be weighting it. I have a variety of sinkers to test out. You can also mix different materials into the plastic to get different properties. Glass microballoons to make it more buoyant or tungsten powder to make it denser.