aneary

Mullet run 2020

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Yeah, had schools of mullet moving south through Vero yesterday with some jacks and tarpon mixed in, not hot and heavy, though.  I missed out but was optimistic for this morning but of course the wind changed and the surf got rough.  Tomorrow doesn't look any better.

Had a big school of finger mullet corraled in our canal Tuesday.  Tarpon, reds, and gator trout blasting them.  Brother lost a 20 - 30 red and I lost a 10+ lb trout.   Too tight and too many pilings/boat lifts where the fish were for the tackle we were using.  Did pull a couple of smaller trout, snook, and bluefish out of the surrounding area.  

Tried Jupiter north of the inlet at first light this morning. Mild swells but no real surf and absolutely dead for fish. At 7 o’clock told myself it was time to go find another beach. When I got to the stairs, I turned around for one more look and saw a pod of Tarpon moving through. Spent the next 35 minutes following them down the beach but clearly they were just cruising, not eating. Did not see any bait with the exception of one small school of greenies as I was walking back to the car. Saw a dozen anglers and not a single one tight, including bait guys. 

So stopped at a beach just south of the inlet and saw three guys coming off with smiles on their face and ask them how they did. They stopped counting at a dozen snook, some small jacks, and said there were mullet cruising through all morning. :banghd:

Walked out to the beach and sure enough they were small schools of finger mullet for 100 yards north and 100 yards south, some of them being chased. Did not see the game fish so assumed it wasn’t big but commenced casting anyway.

Bunch of tail grabs and some teeth holes on my rubber paddle tail had me thinking bluefish, though it feels early. Switched over to a swimming plug on the second cast hooked a small jack. On the fourth cast hoked a small snook. And maybe the 10th cast hooked a small barracuda. that explains the holes in the plastic lure.

Surf supposed to pick up tomorrow even without a wind so I will be back out there first light.  

Monday will blow 20+ and rain so that’s out. Could make Tuesday morning interesting. 

Mullet moving south on beach in Vero yesterday.  Nothing pushing them.  

Finger mullet showed up off my dock again this morning.  Among the little jacks, trout, ladyfish and snook we caught my brother also landed a slot snook and an over slot about 38".

8 mins ago, snooker said:

I'll be in Jensen Beach later this week.  Hopefully I get to see something like that.

It makes your hands shake just trying to get the lure unhooked from the stripper guide's frame. Like buck fever, with several 8+ pointers casually eating in a field you just walked into. 

7 mins ago, flyangler said:

It makes your hands shake just trying to get the lure unhooked from the stripper guide's frame. Like buck fever, with several 8+ pointers casually eating in a field you just walked into. 

Yes, literally, your hands do shake.  Years ago I stumbled onto some huge tarpon attacking a pod of mullet just 10 feet from shore.  I quickly caught a mullet and cast it out.  It was immediately eaten and just as fast my line broke.  My hands were shaking so much, I couldn't tie on a new leader and hook.  It took me too so long to re-rig that by the time I was ready again, the fish were 100 yards down the beach.  That burst of adrenaline is what we live for.

2 mins ago, snooker said:

Yes, literally, your hands do shake.  Years ago I stumbled onto some huge tarpon attacking a pod of mullet just 10 feet from shore.  I quickly caught a mullet and cast it out.  It was immediately eaten and just as fast my line broke.  My hands were shaking so much, I couldn't tie on a new leader and hook.  It took me too so long to re-rig that by the time I was ready again, the fish were 100 yards down the beach.  That burst of adrenaline is what we live for.

I think few are immune from such, with the sole exception of @zcoker since that is all in a day's work for The Guru. 

Piles and piles of mullet in the passes in SWFL.  Can net all you want without trying hard, trick is to get there before light.  They're in extremely shallow in the dark.  Saw several schools out on the beaches as well from Bonita Beach down to Wiggins Pass.  White-bait is carpeting the bottom out front as well, but not many gamefish on them at all.