aneary

Mullet run 2020

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Heading to our place in Vero this weekend to fish. Any improvement on the mullet in the inlets? Sebastian?

Anyone think that because of the heat the run may be later this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 0:43 PM, flyangler said:

Are there any pretentious photographers here? Any challenges balancing a desire to get tight with the desire to catch that perfect photo? 

 

I am one, and during The Run I often carry my DLSR and 150-600 with me "just in case". It takes remarkable photos but the issue is always whether to fish or to shoot photos. 

The issue for me likewise is should I fish or take pictures.  I also have a Sigma 150-600mm lens on my Nikon.  It takes wonderful pictures.  Fishing wins out 9 times out of 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/9/2020 at 0:43 PM, flyangler said:

Are there any pretentious photographers here? Any challenges balancing a desire to get tight with the desire to catch that perfect photo? 

 

I am one, and during The Run I often carry my DLSR and 150-600 with me "just in case". It takes remarkable photos but the issue is always whether to fish or to shoot photos. 

The issue for me likewise is should I fish or take pictures.  I also have a Sigma 150-600mm lens on my Nikon.  It takes wonderful pictures.  Fishing wins out 9 times out of 10. 

 

Oops, double post

Edited by snooker
double post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, snooker said:

The issue for me likewise is should I fish or take pictures.  I also have a Sigma 150-600mm lens on my Nikon.  It takes wonderful pictures.  Fishing wins out 9 times out of 10.

Do you have the Contemporary or the Sport? I have the C. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, flyangler said:

Do you have the Contemporary or the Sport? I have the C. 

I got the contemporary.  The sport was heavier, more expensive and some of the reviews I read said the contemporary was just as good if not better than the sport.  I've been very happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, snooker said:

I got the contemporary.  The sport was heavier, more expensive and some of the reviews I read said the contemporary was just as good if not better than the sport.  I've been very happy with it.

Me too, especially for my purposes. Here are a couple

 

 

01F733A5-07E5-4970-9659-B7D8855B8295.jpeg

DC942369-760A-4508-B1A6-0301FA1C3167.jpeg

567E2006-6235-45C3-A7B7-9683D9A38409.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Friday I fished, surf was up but there were mullet moving and we had some what I would call bay anchovies in the surf. Saw a few tarpon and caught a few nice lady fish on the fly. Went back in the evening and same bait was around. Found a good pack of anchovies and mullet on the edges. Big jacks could be seen chasing down the waves. Caught a really nice jack had to be close to 20 lbs, no phone with me so no photo but great fight. Bait moved off shore a bit as it started to move toward dark and the tarpon were ripping em up. Surfs been crazy since then so the fishing has been crap. Did see a pod of finger mullet in the intercostal today though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aneary said:

Last Friday I fished, surf was up but there were mullet moving and we had some what I would call bay anchovies in the surf. Saw a few tarpon and caught a few nice lady fish on the fly. Went back in the evening and same bait was around. Found a good pack of anchovies and mullet on the edges. Big jacks could be seen chasing down the waves. Caught a really nice jack had to be close to 20 lbs, no phone with me so no photo but great fight. Bait moved off shore a bit as it started to move toward dark and the tarpon were ripping em up. Surfs been crazy since then so the fishing has been crap. Did see a pod of finger mullet in the intercostal today though.

Send them south please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I am in a What's App chat group that was formed a couple years back dedicated to Mullet Run anglers. I only know two of the guys on it but the group appears to be from Sebastian to Miami in locale. It goes dormant in January and then gets reestablished in September. It has gone active now. 

 

One observation of mullet congregating around the inside bridges in the PB area meaning the ICW and Lake Worth. No mentions of them moving to the LW Inlet as yet. 

 

One guy was scanning inlet cams and posted an explosion of mullet up at Sebastian. 

 

So here is a question from a relative newbie (five years): Is the mullet run typically a two stage process?

 

First stage is mullet grouping into schools up in the rivers, the ICW and Lake Worth and then proceeding to the inlets themselves on the way out to the ocean. This does not happen all at once, daily for several weeks with the tides. 

 

Second stage is once they have left the inlets and are out in the ocean proper and start heading south. 

 

In my limited experience, these stages can happed simultaneously and continuously for weeks, but we call the entire process "the run". 

 

Can someone more experienced shed any further knowledge? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished the ocean last night lots of mullet around, landed a snook of about 26”. There was bait spraying but I couldn’t tell what was hitting it. Looking forward to the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, flyangler said:

OK, I am in a What's App chat group that was formed a couple years back dedicated to Mullet Run anglers. I only know two of the guys on it but the group appears to be from Sebastian to Miami in locale. It goes dormant in January and then gets reestablished in September. It has gone active now. 

 

One observation of mullet congregating around the inside bridges in the PB area meaning the ICW and Lake Worth. No mentions of them moving to the LW Inlet as yet. 

 

One guy was scanning inlet cams and posted an explosion of mullet up at Sebastian. 

 

So here is a question from a relative newbie (five years): Is the mullet run typically a two stage process?

 

First stage is mullet grouping into schools up in the rivers, the ICW and Lake Worth and then proceeding to the inlets themselves on the way out to the ocean. This does not happen all at once, daily for several weeks with the tides. 

 

Second stage is once they have left the inlets and are out in the ocean proper and start heading south. 

 

In my limited experience, these stages can happed simultaneously and continuously for weeks, but we call the entire process "the run". 

 

Can someone more experienced shed any further knowledge? 

 

 

 

The fall mullet run is triggered by the ocean temp drops....from the Carolina's and Georgia, the mullet begin their journey southward to the tip of Florida where they head offshore into the Gulf Stream for mating. The process is dynamic...small pods, big pods, massive pods, etc. Much of the process is also effected by the coastal conditions and lunar conditions--whether or not they are close to shore, far out, or not in site at all, pouring out of inlets...hurricanes, swell activity and so fourth. The process is not an exact science and varies from year to year. Just like with the minnow run, gotta get out there and do some hefty footwork (or a lot of driving!) find the fish and follow the fish to get the fish.

 

The mullet are around right now with full blown predator activity...doing their thing.

 

Hope this helps and happy hunting! 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swapped my lure bag contents. Out went the snook-sized plugs and paddletails and in went the mullet-sized lures and bigger paddletails.
 

This is when those big Hogy Protails snd their hooks come in handy. However, Zcoker has been known to break those. 
 

Also put the big camera and lens in the backpack, just in case. 

Edited by flyangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.