aneary

Mullet run 2020

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, aneary said:

Wow I don’t ever remember mullet in CT, interesting that they are in NJ, thx

Of course they're in nj.

Caught them in the back of barnegat bay early july in nets and fished the inlet for fluke.  Fantastic.  

I fish North Florida and there isn’t much going on here yet. Last year was my first year fishing and I missed the run but I think they should be showing up soon here. I was at an inlet north of Jacksonville looking for tarpon the other day and saw small pods of finger mullet heading out to the beach 

8 hours ago, saltygator said:

I fish North Florida and there isn’t much going on here yet. Last year was my first year fishing and I missed the run but I think they should be showing up soon here. I was at an inlet north of Jacksonville looking for tarpon the other day and saw small pods of finger mullet heading out to the beach 

Have a buddy lives in Jacksonville, really enjoy the backwaters if the St. John’s fishing for reds up there. He has a couple kayaks. Awesome.

i was down the beach tonight for a bit and had a small, room size school of mullet go by me heading south. Took a small jack behind them.

13 hours ago, aneary said:

Have a buddy lives in Jacksonville, really enjoy the backwaters if the St. John’s fishing for reds up there. He has a couple kayaks. Awesome.

i was down the beach tonight for a bit and had a small, room size school of mullet go by me heading south. Took a small jack behind them.

Keep pushing the south please 

Stopped in local shop today and he summed up the current environment with a single word: DEAD

Said reports of some mullet up near Jax. Said a report of some silver mullet up in Indian River area but a customer went up there and could not confirm. 

I am going to chase some peacocks in the morning rather than hit the beach. 

On 9/3/2020 at 0:06 PM, flyangler said:

Keep pushing the south please 

I was out this morning and saw a few small pods of mullet heading south, nothing major but a few. Picked up a small jack that must have been following them.  

14 mins ago, aneary said:

Saw a nice pod of them yesterday and took a keeper snook.

A, where are you? Helps to know and I am too lazy to scroll backward

Posted (edited) · Report post

A339FB83-FAE1-4891-A047-23EEE9493B63_1_201_a.jpeg.7be386e74e69600c70edecba5c39790a.jpeg

My phone rang this morning, he gave me a quick fishing update and then asked several questions about investments and tech stocks. 

Fishing in Jupiter area: "sucks" "terrible" "worst late summer in years"

Mullet: They are starting to stage in the estuaries and back in the rivers. With the New Moon in 8 days, the mullet should start moving out of the rivers and into the ocean. His one caveat is that we might see that happen north of Jupiter, in the Stuart to Ft Pierce area on this moon, and then down here at the full moon at the start of October. 

It is always crazy when the jacks, blues and sharks stage at the mouth of the inlets waiting for the surge. 

Edited by flyangler

On 8/31/2020 at 6:24 PM, SnookerFla said:

In Florida the finger mullet are first followed by the bigger ones.

Local guys have been cast netting Mullet for a couple weeks here in S.Jersey. I've had a few that were like those big ones in Florida ,maybe 8" or so.

Are there any pretentious photographers here? Any challenges balancing a desire to get tight with the desire to catch that perfect photo? 

I am one, and during The Run I often carry my DLSR and 150-600 with me "just in case". It takes remarkable photos but the issue is always whether to fish or to shoot photos.