aneary

Mullet run 2020

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Thought I would put this out there to share any info available. I’m relatively new to this event and was wondering where this normally starts, any info where these fish migrate from would be appreciated.

also would be good to note if they are starting to show and the general area (town) you’ve seen them. 

im in Vero and I think I’ve seen some small bunches heading south, the last couple days. I’ve seen some bait heading north, not sure I what it is, maybe 4-5 inches and Pilchard shape.

landed a small snook this morning, maybe 18 inches, buddy got a lady fish and a couple small jacks. I saw a few tarpon Saturday but they were about 200 yards off the beach and seemed to be cruising

Should start in NJ next week, last number of years it hasn' t been impressive. Who ever knows until........... the next few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Should start in NJ next week, last number of years it hasn' t been impressive. Who ever knows until........... the next few weeks. 

Wow I don’t ever remember mullet in CT, interesting that they are in NJ, thx

5 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Same species of mullet as down here in Florida? 

I’m a little north of Vero - lots of bait and blow ups here this last week. Glass minnows but finger mullet mixed in also. It’s not the mullet run but  I remember this from previous years, sort of a precursor/tease.

1 hour ago, SnookerFla said:

An Atlantic hurricane will help get them moving, not that I am wishing for one.

hey hey hey, sssssshhhhhhhhh

Forgot the tarpon gulping in the photo above was zoomed in from the photo below. On the rocks is Josh Jorgensen, aka blacktiph, looking in the wrong direction at that moment. 

8D03DB99-8D67-4E85-BDA8-F5A938920CBC.jpeg.155440d2d20b8092df398962e4728649.jpeg

20 hours ago, flyangler said:

Same species of mullet as down here in Florida? 

I do not know Florida mullet. The early fall mullet in NJ are small, refereed to as finger mullet. Maybe 3-5 inches, color is difficult to identify, but I'll say bright silvery with a hint of blue. Sometimes from the beach or a rockpile they look black when they are all ganged up. A small 5"' Red Fin or Surfster are always killers, more when mullet are around.

They usually start leaving our back bays between the 5th and 12th of September, usually visible in schools circling around the edge of jetties or on open beaches coming close to shore and then swimming back out to get murdered. Folks like to fish them whole on a mullet rig, a long wire that goes in the mouth and out the butt, and then you put your hook on, has a float, bluefish adore them. 

Later on we get bigger mullet, we call them corn cob mullet, probably more of what Florida mullet are, usually about a pound.

8 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I do not know Florida mullet. The early fall mullet in NJ are small, refereed to as finger mullet. Maybe 3-5 inches, color is difficult to identify, but I'll say bright silvery with a hint of blue. Sometimes from the beach or a rockpile they look black when they are all ganged up. A small 5"' Red Fin or Surfster are always killers, more when mullet are around.

They usually start leaving our back bays between the 5th and 12th of September, usually visible in schools circling around the edge of jetties or on open beaches coming close to shore and then swimming back out to get murdered. Folks like to fish them whole on a mullet rig, a long wire that goes in the mouth and out the butt, and then you put your hook on, has a float, bluefish adore them. 

Later on we get bigger mullet, we call them corn cob mullet, probably more of what Florida mullet are, usually about a pound.

Ours, some smaller, some larger. This is what happens when you throw a Spooltek with its relatively wide gap hook into a massive pod. 

797A3EF9-131A-411D-B5B2-817DE7600E4A_1_105_c.jpeg.5be43a1dfa469833f806754e29581777.jpeg

In Florida the finger mullet are first followed by the bigger ones. My favorite time to fish. Redfish(and other species) follow the mullet and we are able to catch a few in a area that doesn't normally have them.