Guacbowl

8ft Inshore vs 8ft Surf rods

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Trying to round out my arsenal with something light and handy to throw lures and jigs in the 0.5-1.5oz range.

Does an 8ft inshore rod cast better with the longer fulcrum? Or does the 8ft surf rod cast better due to friendly ergonomics?

I'm thinking the 8ft MH Avid Inshore vs the 8ft M Avid Surf could be a good example.

Or should I forget all of that and get a 10 Black hole Suzuki for the light stuff?

Thanks

As much as I love my 10' Suzuki, if you're going to be casting 1/2 oz regularly I would look elsewhere. You really have to lay into it to get the rod to load that little weight. It really excels at about an ounce.

As much as I like St Croix surf rods, their 8ft rods are kind of weird in my opinion. I own an 8ft mojo inshore and it’s butt end is huge for such a short surf rod. It’s really a 7ft rod with a huge butt end. It’s rating is also too high for such a short rod. For me it’s great at throwing metals and plugs up to 2.5oz off a jetty. It’s stout which makes it easy to haul bluefish over the rocks. It’s just not for back bay plugging which lighter lures. The ODM dna might be worth looking at. 

2 hours ago, Guacbowl said:

Trying to round out my arsenal with something light and handy to throw lures and jigs in the 0.5-1.5oz range.

Does an 8ft inshore rod cast better with the longer fulcrum? Or does the 8ft surf rod cast better due to friendly ergonomics?

I'm thinking the 8ft MH Avid Inshore vs the 8ft M Avid Surf could be a good example.

Or should I forget all of that and get a 10 Black hole Suzuki for the light stuff?

Thanks

7' premier,medium,medium will do your job,price is right,light rod you can cast 6 hours,you can cast with wrist one hand or 2hand,i use 7' medium,light i cast 1 1/2 oz nice and easy,with longer rod you gain 15' longer cast ,i flip on 10' rock high 7lb fish.i use 30# power pro swivel and 20# mono leader 24".i tested all difrent lenght rods,this is best rod to operate 1/4 oz to 1 1.2 oz lures.

I waffled on this for a long time.  Ended up with a 8’ MHF tidemaster and 8’ H TFO gis inshore and love them for jigs and plastics around tight rivers, bridges outflows and other close quarters fishing.  I find the ‘feel’ of a short rod useful anywhere I’m making short casts and need sensitivity, solid hook set and stopping power.  On the open beach or back bays with plugs a longer moderate rod is far more enjoyable with light stuff for me.

Edited by Bait Tailer

I have the 8' 1pc black hole inshore rod that's paired with a VR50.  For me it's light.  My goto setup for spring and summer.  I don't throw .5oz but have throw everything from 3/4oz - 1.5 with no problems.  Below is my biggest catch with that rod set up:

IMG_20200416_044238.jpg

I had used a 8.5 ft St Croix Premium Surf in LIS Bays for years now I’m using a Tidemaster 8 ft MH, I’m getting older and the fish are getting smaller and fewer.

11 hours ago, chitala383 said:

As much as I love my 10' Suzuki, if you're going to be casting 1/2 oz regularly I would look elsewhere. You really have to lay into it to get the rod to load that little weight. It really excels at about an ounce.

It is strange as 10' Suzuki is lighter (softer) than 9'6" and 8' Suzuki rods.  We tested the 10' rod with lighter 3/8 oz - 1/2 oz lures. You got to use light line and small reels to cast small lures.

suzuki8c.jpg

Edited by ksong

4 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

I have the 8' 1pc black hole inshore rod that's paired with a VR50.  For me it's light.  My goto setup for spring and summer.  I don't throw .5oz but have throw everything from 3/4oz - 1.5 with no problems.  Below is my biggest catch with that rod set up:

IMG_20200416_044238.jpg

The rating of the 8' Suzuki is 3/4 oz - 3 oz.  The rating is similar to 9'6" Suzuki rods. Originally I wanted to develop 8' suzuki L rods like 10' Suzuki which has lighter tip than 9'6" suzuki rods.  

But I was afraid anglers break light  tips while landing fish.  

Fortunately there are very few broken tips of the 10' Suzuki. So we are developing ultra light suzuki rods to cast 1/4 oz - 2 oz range. 

I decided the potential boat/kayak applications make an 8ft inshore rod more versatile than an 8ft surf rod.

Narrowed down to 8ft MH Shimano Teramar SE, 8ft MH St. Croix Tidemaster, and 8ft Black Hole Suzuki.

Pulled the trigger on the Suzuki today. Can't wait!