ASrod

Van Staal Power Drag Knob

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

VS Warranty center (Saltwaters) just announced that they’ll be hitting the shelves as early as next week. Looks pretty sweet.

B6933547-82D4-44C9-8F97-31B613E9B26A.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, ASrod said:

VS Warranty center (Saltwaters) just announced that they’ll be hitting the shelves as early as next week. Looks pretty sweet.

B6933547-82D4-44C9-8F97-31B613E9B26A.jpeg

Supposedly more drag power as well as grip comes in 2 colors silver and black 100-200 sizes only for x series.

Edited by Gooch88

Just now, Gooch88 said:

Supposedly more drag power as well as grip comes in 2 colors silver and black 100-200 sizes only.

More power how? Because it’s hard to get full drag range with the tiny knob? That’s what I noticed in the 150 myself.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, ASrod said:

More power how? Because it’s hard to get full drag range with the tiny knob? That’s what I noticed in the 150 myself.

Guessing more grip to the main shaft as well as the top off the spool idk exactly how this is going to go. Looking at the picture again it seems to latch on to the inner lip

Edited by Gooch88

4 mins ago, Gooch88 said:

Not my picture’s it was taken by fishermen’s headquarters they are posted on their Facebook. 

D42AA6C8-40D9-4D14-B47D-2019264C9A3A.jpeg

F4A2BCDB-9476-45E7-9D76-C49C6549CB9E.jpeg

Yeah I saw those pictures too. If they’re truly only going to be $30, I’ll definitely try them on both my reels.

6 mins ago, ASrod said:

Yeah I saw those pictures too. If they’re truly only going to be $30, I’ll definitely try them on both my reels.

Hopefully they make them in the 250-275 size. and not just the smaller models.

Just now, Gooch88 said:

Hopefully they make them in the 250-275 size. and not just the smaller models.

I was under the impression that they were for the 100 series and 200 series. Aren’t all the knobs the same size on each respective series?

I’m no VS hater (I own 7 VS), but the idea that you need a replacement part to improve the pemaanc elf the 150 is appalling to me. I own two 150s and it is by far the most disappointing of the VS reels i own.  FWIW, I’ve been using my Torques a lot more this year. 

28 mins ago, ASrod said:

I was under the impression that they were for the 100 series and 200 series. Aren’t all the knobs the same size on each respective series?

Yes they are you basically just answered it for me thanks.

37 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I’m no VS hater (I own 7 VS), but the idea that you need a replacement part to improve the pemaanc elf the 150 is appalling to me. I own two 150s and it is by far the most disappointing of the VS reels i own.  FWIW, I’ve been using my Torques a lot more this year. 

I know for sure people will buy it just for looks and conversation purposes. But the 150 is actually a great bottom fishing reel I use mine for blackfish  But I’m going to get one just to see if I can squeeze a extra 3-7lbs out this thing. Don’t know much about the torque but they are very nice especially the gold models.

10 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

Your example is why PENN is such a good company. When they upgraded the design for the torque they also upgraded every reel out there for free. 

If anyone has an old main shaft design they will still upgrade for free. 

Weird that new VS reels cannot produce anywhere near the advertised drag pressure and now you have to buy a new drag knob to improve the condition. 

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't get it. Admittedly out of the game a long time. What makes this a "power" drag knob? Early VS reels tried different spring types to get a different range of adjustments. What I see is a design that will make it easier for sand to collect under the notch of the drag knob and a new place to have your line wedge under and into causing issues. What's the benefit?