GilV

First King Salmon of the season caught yeserday on the Salmon River

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I had two planed trips this year for Atlantic Salmon that were cancelled due to covid. One was in June and one was for the last week of September. Yesterday the first king of the year was caught on the DSR. Hopefully I can make up some fishing time in NY for salmon and steelhead this fall.

Edited by DaveC
No links

The earlier cool days will make salmon stage sooner, maybe.the DSR had salmon in mid August But they are still in 75’ of water in the lake. For steelhead I stay away till mid November. As the browns start dumping eggs it becomes prime time for chromed. Another on that river is fun!

FFB52DF4-2256-46F0-BF1B-37EDEE5C4DE3.jpeg

I can't wait either. Intend to do a lot of steelhead and salmon there this year. going for a week the last week of September. May head up for a few days next week. No summer run of Skamania? 

I will be up there the last week of September until Oct 3rd.  Following the reports as well.  I expect I will make a run up there in the next week or two for an overnight.  I saw no mention of a summer run of steelhead this year.  At least not from the DSR

I went the last week of September last year and caught many Kings. Not my kind of fishing, but fun. Saw some silver salmon caught that week also and caught some brown trout. It was fun just standing in the river and watching those giant kings jump all around me.

I am retired so I can choose to go anytime. If I don't go with friends I am going to camp at Browns Camp Ground. I want to fish November steelhead but my hands get COLD!

I only fish DSR and the 2 fly fishing zones.  The rest of the river is truly awful most of the time. I still enjoy the kings.  Where else can you catch 40"+ fish on a fly rod without huge $$$.  Coho are still my favorites but you certainly have to be in the right place at the right time for them.  They move so quickly.  There was a period of time where I was sick of the whole fall run thing.  It took me a while to rekindle the love.  Switched to a two handed rod and try to fish water that other don't.  Found a couple of very good spots that way. I normally carry  12', 11' and 9' rods and use them as needed.

Browns and steels are great two but I don't tend to target them until later in the year.

I fished the Fly only section of the river and one morning on the Little Salmon.

I also fish two handed. For the kings I have a 13' 8wt Loop with Skagit heads and for Atlantic salmon and steelhead I have a 13'6" Loomis NRX 8 wt with a Scandi line. That Loomis rod is a gun. The Loop has more backbone for the kings. 

I also have a one handed 10' 8wt NRX I use Skagit and OPST heads for Atlantics, but it usually stays in the car since I mainly use the 2 handed NRX. I found for me I can do more with a two handed rod than I could ever do with a one handed rod on a river with very little effort.

I met a bunch of great guys on the fly only section. It was like I had fished with them every year. They were very helpful. One person is a fishing guide in the Adirondacks. He took me under his wing, since it was my first Salmon River King trip. He set me up, gave me his spot and stayed there telling me where to cast and where to end the drift. I hooked a few each day and the day after he left I had 11 kings in 2 hours. I am hoping he is there this year again.

I thought the river would be a zoo, but the fly guys on the river were like the fly guys on IBSP. Very helpful and supportive. 

I decided that I’m making my first trip up there in November for steelhead.  I’ve talked about it for years and with everything that has happened this year, I’ve decided to stop putting it off.  That’s why I posted in the bst forum that I’m looking for a 7wt!

Edited by bostoned

2 hours ago, GilV said:

I fished the Fly only section of the river and one morning on the Little Salmon.

I also fish two handed. For the kings I have a 13' 8wt Loop with Skagit heads and for Atlantic salmon and steelhead I have a 13'6" Loomis NRX 8 wt with a Scandi line. That Loomis rod is a gun. The Loop has more backbone for the kings. 

I also have a one handed 10' 8wt NRX I use Skagit and OPST heads for Atlantics, but it usually stays in the car since I mainly use the 2 handed NRX. I found for me I can do more with a two handed rod than I could ever do with a one handed rod on a river with very little effort.

I met a bunch of great guys on the fly only section. It was like I had fished with them every year. They were very helpful. One person is a fishing guide in the Adirondacks. He took me under his wing, since it was my first Salmon River King trip. He set me up, gave me his spot and stayed there telling me where to cast and where to end the drift. I hooked a few each day and the day after he left I had 11 kings in 2 hours. I am hoping he is there this year again.

I thought the river would be a zoo, but the fly guys on the river were like the fly guys on IBSP. Very helpful and supportive. 

Curious what gear you are using on those rods, and flies too.  Made one steelhead trip to a Great Lakes trip.  Landed one fish enjoyed it, floating line and a tube fly someone loaned me, have no idea what it was.  Anyway, sounds interesting.