Agon2003

New to Fishing and want to know what lures I should get

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

im relatively knew to fishing with lures. I’ve been fishing with bait since I was 5 but want to get into fishing for strippers with lures.

I am a high school student so I don’t have a ton of money I was just wondering a few lures I should get to start with.

I fish on the south shore of Massachusetts and would also like to know some spots if anyone fishes around here too

I think a savage sand eel or other paddle tail type lures are great for beginners. They’ll catch fish on a straight retrieve, but you can also experiment with them and get familiar with other retrieves

There are plenty of guys who’ll tell you that, when it comes to fishing lures, you have to buy a certain model of a certain brand in a certain color.

It’s mostly nonsense and I believe  that many lure  manufacturers put more effort into making their lures appeal to the fisherman who’ll buy them than they do making them appeal to the fish who are supposed to eat them.

I’m not going to give you suggestions on brands or models of lures.

Instead I’m going to suggest that you get a small assortment of lures which will allow you to fish the  entire water column of the area you are fishing.

Lets start at the surface of the water: get some kind of popping plug for that.

I don’t believe color matters with popping plugs because fish see the splashing and the disturbed water it creates more than the plug itself.

Next you want a lure that’ll run a few feet under the surface .

I’ll suggest you get a Finnish Minnow style plug for that. If you don’t know what they look like, they look very much like a long slender baitfish with a plastic lip at the front of the lure. There are literally dozens of manufacturers who make this style of lure and most anglers have their favorites but I’d tell you to just buy the one you can get a good deal on. They come in hundreds of colors but I’ll tell you to pick something that looks like the bait in the area you are fishing. 
I should also point out that sometimes you can get great deals on oddly colored plugs. It’s pretty easy to change the color with a can of spray paint so don’t walk away from good deals just because the color isn’t your first choice.

Next, I’ll suggest you get some kind of metal which will allow you to really punch a cast out through wind, heavy surf, etc.

Metal lures come in lots of shapes and sizes. 
They cast pretty much better than anything else and You can fish them at different depths simply by changing your retrieve speed. Reel faster for the top of the water column and slower will get you down deep.

Finally, I think you should get yourself some buck tail jigs.

Buck tails are probably the most versatile lures ever created and they are also one of the simplest. In fact, they are pretty darn easy to learn to make your own and perhaps when you get more time under your belt You’ll start tying some up for yourself.

Buck tails are like metal in that adjusting your retrieve speed allows you to change the depth of the lure.

Thats it. That’s all you’ll  need to get started. 
Just a small handful of lures and you should be able to get them all for less than $50.

Also pick yourself up some duo lock snaps so you can change lures easily and not have to re-tie every time you want to switch lures. 
Someone might try to talk you into those paper clip looking speed connectors but I think duo locks work better.

Finally, make sure that you rinse your tackle off with fresh water every time you use it in the salt.

You’ll be surprised how a simple rinse off adds to the life of your gear.

I’ve used freshwater plugs in the salt and their bronzed hooks last a long time because I always rinse them after use.

Good luck and have fun.

for me it all started with a Gibbs popper orange over yellow after that I was hooked 

still trying to learn the bucktail lmao.. 

needlefish 

metal lip swimmer’s 

pencil poppers

Gliders

trollers

darters

Tsunami talking popper

SS little neck popper

SP minnow

Bomber

Bucktail

Storm shad or paddle tail

Once you get a few plugs in your bag you will find that suddenly you have dozens.  Its magic!  :laugh:

Be sure to check the plug b/s/t here.  Deals come up often.

Edited by NJTramcar

3 mins ago, NJTramcar said:

Once you get a few plugs in your bag you will find that suddenly you have dozens.  Its magic!  :laugh:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by afterhours

+1 for the Tsunami talking popper. good popper for starters.. was one of my first top water plugs to catch  a fish on and cheap if you end up losing it.

Needle

pencil

bottle

bottle darter

glide

sp Minnie / mag darter

thats whats usually in my bag. If fishing during the day pencil is usually my first lure. Night needle. Rough conditions a bottle or bottle darter. Then the rest.