put_em_back

Fires Smoke and Air Quality

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I've been using purpleair.com to get air quality (AQ) readings locally in Fremont and see a bunch down in Santa Cruz and San Fran.

Purpleair sells AQ sensors to the public and when you install them, they post the data almost real time and anyone can see the posted data.  I see the data updating every 2 or 3 minutes.

Don't look at only 1 sensor.  Look at a few in the same area to make sure that they all correlate.  Also note that there are indoor and outdoor sensors plotted.    If you look at a wide area around you, you can actually see bad air or good air coming towards you.

I don't think the quality of the sensors is that great and they aren't calibrated, but if you look at the numbers and go outside to do the sniff test, you can get an idea of what is acceptable to you.  This was important to me because we don't have AC so I want to open the windows in the evenings to cool down the house which I am now working from. 

Good info. There was an article today in SF gate comparing purple to airnow.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Why-PurpleAir-and-AirNow-show-different-AQI-15514576.php

When I woke up this morning I smelled smoke. I was actually kind of thrilled since in Pacifica that means the wind is down. I walked down the the beach and caught 2 fish on the incoming within an hour. Lost a PB bass when it when it straightened a treble hook; that really hurt.

Got me, my gear and my fish cleaned and still made it to work by 8:30am. Happy Friday.