icarussound

New to bass fishing... advice

30 posts in this topic

Apparently headwaters lake In Fellsmere Florida is the best bass lake in the universe. It’s about 40 mins from where I fish. Never been bass fishing myself. I kayak the Indian river/lagoon pretty much daily. I figured I would try headwaters lake next week but of course I know nothing about bass.

So any advice on lures and general features I should be looking for to find the fish would be appreciated. I’m guessing my snook/trout/redfish tackle & lures will work but I could easily be absolutely wrong.... FWIW the impulse came from watching some videos by this guy. Also I’m wanting to try something different.

Joking aside....just start with some senkos. You don't need the name brand Yamamoto Senkos... Yum or other brands will do. Some 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 EWG hooks for Texas rigging and some if the whacky hooks for whacky rigging. Some leader material and you will be good to go.

Buy a small Plano box, and put in lures that cover different levels of the water column. Topwaters, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, small crankbaits, and things like jigs and soft plastics, will get you started. Watch videos, like suggested above, and absorb as much info as you can. Tacticalbassin is an excellent source of info. Instead of worrying about lures, and having tons of each, learn about how bass behave during certain times of the year, especially around moon phases.  You will quickly learn how productive certain lures are as they relate to seasons and concentrate on mastering each one. Starting out, you have a ton to learn, but enjoy the process, and enjoy every time you’re on the water. Every outing will be different, and a puzzle to figure out. After 40+ yrs chasing them, my enjoyment comes from trying to figure out the pattern. Good luck, and have fun!

Find Roland Martin on YouTube and watch his videos.  I really enjoy his easy going in style and learn from all his videos.  A selection of various baits will get you going (5” Senko, NED rig, a few Pop-R’s, WakeBait, Whop-R-Plopper, etc.). Have fun!  OH

On 8/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, Mack26 said:

Instead of worrying about lures, and having tons of each, learn about how bass behave during certain times of the year,

^ great advice.

I love that guy's vids (NDYakangler). Unfortunately, he gives a misrepresentation of how easy it is to go out and catch several #5 smb/lmb

IMO dealing with weeds is one of the most important aspects of lmb fishing. I suck at pulling bass out of the weeds, but do okay over and around them.

Edited by Livefreeordie

weightless senko is a great starting point for soft plastics. 

learn about fish spawning cycles, and learn what other types of fish are in the waters you're trying to fish. its super valuable to mimic what the bass in your local fishery are eating naturally, from a size and color perspective. 

dont just waste money on a bunch of random fluorescent lure crankbait superpacks. 

also learn different retrieval methods for the different lures you get

Fishing a drop shot rig will help u catch bass. As mentioned , the Senko fished in various ways such as wacky and  Neko rig r good methods to get familiar with. Good luck, have fun and try to keep it simple

Got into largemouth for the first time during the pandemic. Love it so far. Jigs are definitely my personal favorite bait so far. With a decent MH rod around 7 ft, you can throw a variety of jigs and cover many situations/conditions. Agree with cweed the dropshot on a light spinning rig has been a helpful approach still being relatively new to freshwater bass fishing. 

As far as resources I attached a chart (lots of personal preferences as with anything but it's a great baseline chat) I find myself going back to often as a I build out my arsenal. Flukemaster on YouTube is an awesome channel.

Enjoy the dozen new rods you will have in a year and of course have fun!

Bass_Fishing_Techniques.jpeg

On 8/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, Mack26 said:

Buy a small Plano box, and put in lures that cover different levels of the water column. Topwaters, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, small crankbaits, and things like jigs and soft plastics, will get you started. Watch videos, like suggested above, and absorb as much info as you can. Tacticalbassin is an excellent source of info. Instead of worrying about lures, and having tons of each, learn about how bass behave during certain times of the year, especially around moon phases.  You will quickly learn how productive certain lures are as they relate to seasons and concentrate on mastering each one. Starting out, you have a ton to learn, but enjoy the process, and enjoy every time you’re on the water. Every outing will be different, and a puzzle to figure out. After 40+ yrs chasing them, my enjoyment comes from trying to figure out the pattern. Good luck, and have fun!

Good advice.

While playing around with tons of different lures is fun, you legit need only about 3 or 4 lure types to be successful.