Joeny718

Cold weather fishing gear

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Plan on fishing as long as possible into the cold weather.

What are some good boots to get for surf fishing that can go over stocking foot waders? Boots you can go into the water with in cold weather?

Also curious to know other types of attire worn for the cold that helps get you through the season??

Edited by Joeny718

I have insulated boot foot waders. I wear polypropylene long johns under fleece pants. I wear a polypropylene top, a shirt and a fleece. A quality wading jacket keeps out the wind. A balaclava keeps ears and head warm. I’m not a fan of neoprene gloves. Wool works well. Polypropylene if it’s not too cold. When it’s really cold I wear insulated glacier gloves with chemical hand warmers inside. When it is brutally cold I wrap the reel seat and reel foot with neoprene. This gets me through until late December or early January. Eat well you burn a lot of calories staying warm. Hope someone is more help about the boots.

17 mins ago, tristate said:

I have insulated boot foot waders. I wear polypropylene long johns under fleece pants. I wear a polypropylene top, a shirt and a fleece. A quality wading jacket keeps out the wind. A balaclava keeps ears and head warm. I’m not a fan of neoprene gloves. Wool works well. Polypropylene if it’s not too cold. When it’s really cold I wear insulated glacier gloves with chemical hand warmers inside. When it is brutally cold I wrap the reel seat and reel foot with neoprene. This gets me through until late December or early January. Eat well you burn a lot of calories staying warm. Hope someone is more help about the boots.

Thanks for the info. Yes I’m trying to figure out if I should get the boot foot but I really want the stocking foot if there’s a way to stay warm 

I highly recommend neoprene waders. they may be a little heavy, but they get the job DONE. Stormr also makes quality surf tops and neoprene jackets. I have the strykr jacket, and on the coldest nights in march fishing for bass it keeps me warm. Stormrs gloves are also top of the line when it comes to warmth. 

45 mins ago, Dimitrikaras01 said:

I highly recommend neoprene waders. they may be a little heavy, but they get the job DONE. Stormr also makes quality surf tops and neoprene jackets. I have the strykr jacket, and on the coldest nights in march fishing for bass it keeps me warm. Stormrs gloves are also top of the line when it comes to warmth. 

What brand in particular and what boots do you wear with these?

58 mins ago, Joeny718 said:

What brand in particular and what boots do you wear with these?

caddis green neoprene waders attached to the boot have been solid for me. I fish every night throughout march April with them, as well as November December. They last about two years beating them up before you need new ones. at 120 dollars you can't go wrong in my opinion. 

5 mins ago, Dimitrikaras01 said:

caddis green neoprene waders attached to the boot have been solid for me. I fish every night throughout march April with them, as well as November December. They last about two years beating them up before you need new ones. at 120 dollars you can't go wrong in my opinion. 

Good to know thanks

Stockingfoot waders would be my last choice for cold weather fishing. Any footwear that restricts blood flow and minimizes air space will be a poor choice in my opinion. Boot foot neoprene would be a better choice in my opinion  as it addresses both of the above issues in addition to providing an insulating layer itself