Dunky

Reel grease

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

17 mins ago, cashews121 said:

never heard of it,,does it say its for reels?

Saw it in west marine? I see ppl posting about using yamalube. I was curious as corrosion blocker sounds like a good thing

1 hour ago, Dunky said:

Saw it in west marine? I see ppl posting about using yamalube. I was curious as corrosion blocker sounds like a good thing

I use Yamalube all  the time in my saltwater reels..I am not familiar with that stuff. If its marine grease it should work fine,,Evinrude makes marine grease also,,people use that also. I just stuck with the  Yamalube..I can cut it with Corrosion X oil to get the consistency I need also....works well.

This what l use been using for over 15 yrs mix with power steering fluid or 5/20 or just lite motor oil l make a summer and winter blend, thicker for the summer and thinner for the winter, cheap and a tub and one quart of oil will make you a lot of reel lube.

Use on my VS VR ABUs and all my other reels.

5fa75a4aaa4b4_Screenshotfrom2020-11-0721-19-29.png.b2ce636bc54649749a9d16658c815bec.png

On 11/7/2020 at 9:41 PM, LB said:

This what l use been using for over 15 yrs mix with power steering fluid or 5/20 or just lite motor oil l make a summer and winter blend, thicker for the summer and thinner for the winter, cheap and a tub and one quart of oil will make you a lot of reel lube.

Use on my VS VR ABUs and all my other reels.

5fa75a4aaa4b4_Screenshotfrom2020-11-0721-19-29.png.b2ce636bc54649749a9d16658c815bec.png

Thats a good idea with the PS cutting.  What consistency do you look for during the colder months?

I started using this in my AK74, FAL & M1A rifles about 20years ago. Didnt do well on my AR15 in cold weather.  Thinned out would be something to try.  

I also use it on my reels cause I have a big ole tub!

On 11/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Thats a good idea with the PS cutting.  What consistency do you look for during the colder months?

50/50 to start with you don't want it to run it should stick to the parts, make a small batch use a baby jar never mix the whole tub chuck an Allen key into a drill, and use as a mixer.

Jars l used.

Red is Valvoline Blue is Mobile grease that someone gave me a 1gal. can that is a lifetime of reel grease the green grease is a Teflon base grease that l use for the drag washers sample l got 20yrs ago and the pink is Dupont 7 chrome polishing paste that must be over 50 yrs old.

5fba6fc0241fd_20201121_105917(1).jpg.984d25543e5fd08655c2f7abeb8800c9.jpg

The grease oil mix will eventually separate. Ive used it on Penn Senator reels. After a few days the oil creeps away from the greased screws. It looks like the reel is bleeding. 

Inox MX5 grease that I use a lot does the same thing without any added oil. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Red Synthetic Wheelbearing /Trailer Ball grease is what I use. :D

No problems during the 20 or 25 years since I switched from white lithium grease. :)

(no problems with white lithium grease either. I switched because the auto parts store was out of the white grease, and the red synthetic was on sale. Amazing how long a tub of wheel bearing grease lasts ...)

Edited by afishhunter