Whites on Block

Rate this topic

turkaholic

Some more unwelcomed visitors on Block Island this summer. The island fish wrapper posts that they have tracked it’s 5 th  Great White swimming with island wet suiters. The island Grey Seal population is strong. A strong pile of young and old seals on the North rip every day has become a tourist trap. People marching up there all day to see the cute little bastards. I have caught many Bass and Blues right in front of them all summer and not one has stolen my dinks. I’m amazed there is anything left to eat. Charlie Dodge a commercial fisherman in Chatham told me each seal can eat up to 40 pounds of fish a day. He claims mostly livers. They take out the livers and let the rest go. I haven’t been comfortable in my kayak in a while as the Greys follow you around and they weight around 600 pounds. Good luck to all !

I have nothing to add regarding hi vis and sharks.

As a parent pulling lifeguard duty, I can't say enough about the high vis swimming shirts for kids. Get the chartreuse. You can see your kid 100 yards away or in the thickest crowd or even when they swim 3 feet underwater. 

Maybe don't do the chartreuse if whitey is in the area. Maybe standing out in the crowd is not best shark sense.