ZATsol

Fly Fishing guide in Montauk at the end of September?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, Sound Fly said:

Jim Levinson is in that group as well ( retired nyc homicide detective, one of the original fly guides out there and is an unbelievable photographer as well ( check out his blitz pictures at water level)- will put you on the Albies  or bass if they are eating

Levison 

EBAD8EA3-B965-4C45-9F60-F80035E5227A.jpeg

On 8/25/2020 at 2:25 PM, Cpalms said:

Dixon is a top guide but he will likely be fully booked but he could point you to some other guides...

Jason Dapra, Brendan Mccarthy, Andrew Derr, Vinnie Catalano, Bryan Goulart.

You are very late to be booking...I would start with these guys.  Circle back if you can't get anybody. 

I think Tondra no longer guides Montauk.

jason, Bryan 

384E3C5D-98EE-4314-9205-22014FC596B2.jpeg

AA9BB514-38E7-4145-9CD0-3A87DFAAB360.jpeg

On 8/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, paulsoncall said:

I’ve used Ernie French for the past 3 years and I think he’s great. He’s a cool dude and I always enjoy my day out with him. 

French

1E9780F1-5D7F-4B53-9988-3A351CF7E370.jpeg

And if everyone is already booked you can try from the shore. There are a huge number of places to try from the shore. The ebb on the north side I like and as far as Causewells . In September a blitze can show up anywhere at any state of the tide. No blitzes then it’s fish the structure and current. Night time is better but daytime can be ok to.

Consider doing the walk from the point to Ditch Plains. Helpful if you have a buddy as you can leave a car at Ditch and save the walk back. But the walk back can be productive.

Sand beaches from Town to Hither Hills are worth a shot.

Mike

On 8/25/2020 at 4:08 PM, flysully said:

Vinnie Catalano - joeyccharters, five stars plus, such a nice guy! All he wants is to put you on fish. His book is always filled but possibly he'll be free on one of the dates you'd need, 

This. I’ve fished with Vinnie all over (including Permit in Belize). He’s an amazing guide, and a great dude.

If he can’t get you in, he’ll at least point you in the right direction.

Late report for September 28, 2020.

We went with Capt. Merritt White. I will highly recommend him. Very knowledgeable guide.

It was cloudy, foggy morning. My first ever albie was in the back, right at the inlet. We got few more but mostly in the morning. Icing on the cake to caught fish on the fly I tied myself.

Already thinking about next year!

Thanks!

20200928_100743.jpg

20200928_100733.jpg

20200928_100712.jpg

20200928_090131.jpg

22 mins ago, ZATsol said:

Late report for September 28, 2020.

We went with Capt. Merritt White. I will highly recommend him. Very knowledgeable guide.

It was cloudy, foggy morning. My first ever albie was in the back, right at the inlet. We got few more but mostly in the morning. Icing on the cake to caught fish on the fly I tied myself.

Already thinking about next year!

Thanks!

Awesome, looks like a great trip.  I'm headed up there this weekend for the first time.  Really last minute trip so finding a charter might be tough, but I'm gonna try