scoobydoo

New 2020 Shimano Saragosa SW dunk test - added ? to Shimano

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Fljettyrat said:

Interesting. I wonder why they did that. 

Thank you for the review!!

I know jandh got some...they may be all spoken for but worth a call.

On 26/08/2020 at 9:17 AM, scoobydoo said:

I'll likely take it of this reel and put it on a baitcaster.  After Sea Knight Monster 13 (with gore fiber) is ready for review.   

I'm curious to see what W13 offers compared to other lines.

I've fished W8 20lb for a season and initially it did well but after a while seemed to absorb a lot water and also sensitivity of the bottom contact was rather in deaf category. You get what you paid for, I got mine for 5-6$ on 500m spooled.

Also, still not convinced gore braid makes any difference at all, used Sufix 832 for a season and initially felt really strong but lost all of it's strength and abrasion resistance in 4 months period, switched it with Kairiki VT which seems to have more weaves per inch and holds better over time and knot strength seems at least on par with 832.

8 hours ago, NJS said:

I'm curious to see what W13 offers compared to other lines.

I've fished W8 20lb for a season and initially it did well but after a while seemed to absorb a lot water and also sensitivity of the bottom contact was rather in deaf category. You get what you paid for, I got mine for 5-6$ on 500m spooled.

Also, still not convinced gore braid makes any difference at all, used Sufix 832 for a season and initially felt really strong but lost all of it's strength and abrasion resistance in 4 months period, switched it with Kairiki VT which seems to have more weaves per inch and holds better over time and knot strength seems at least on par with 832.

Not sure if you follow me on social....(tackle advisors) Posted 2 pictures of 2 spools of w13....

Both spools defective.......weave blow outs/ weld spots  at multiple locations of the line...

I contacted seaknight I think on monday...haven't heard back yet.

On 8/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, scoobydoo said:

For sealing?

No

I've had and seen first hand and through people I fish with have issues at the top pinion bearing

The Gosa does it much better there....

And if your one that can appreciate it....The gosa undeniably feels so much nicer to crank on..

That being said....I haven't even really fished the new gosa yet....

Great test thank you for the information scoobydo.  I use these reels to kayak fish.  They get soaked and dunked so the seals on the saragosa do a great job.  The Spinfisher didn’t last long at all but I miss the 4000 size.  Is there something comparable to the Twin Power SW 4000 sealing but more affordable?  I’d hate to leave that kind of money on the bottom.   

13 hours ago, Sparkerdawg said:

Great test thank you for the information scoobydo.  I use these reels to kayak fish.  They get soaked and dunked so the seals on the saragosa do a great job.  The Spinfisher didn’t last long at all but I miss the 4000 size.  Is there something comparable to the Twin Power SW 4000 sealing but more affordable?  I’d hate to leave that kind of money on the bottom.   

Unfortunately your looking at saltx and Van Staal vr... Maybe a shield... 

The bgmq I think has smaller sizes... But I've heard second hand there have been sealing issues. 

58 mins ago, westhavendave said:

Just got my hands on a 14K will be testing it in the eastern Florida inlets for the rest of the winter.

Why don't you come to the Florida meet up in Jupiter in Feb. I'm sure some of us would love to see that reel.

12 hours ago, reelfire said:

Why don't you come to the Florida meet up in Jupiter in Feb. I'm sure some of us would love to see that reel.

I will look up the details in the FL forum and get back to you, not too far away for me.