Tja

Older outboard mechanic?!? Help

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Looking for anyone in NH, MA, ME that will help to sync my shift linkage on my 1972 evinrude sportwin 9.5HP. Thing runs like a top, just having major trouble getting that linkage correct. I can not find ANYONE to even look at it even though it runs and is a complete motor. If anyone has a buddy or is good with these things themselves please send me in the right direction. 

Sorry, couldn't resist the. Try YouTube   1972 evinrude 9.5 sportwin shift linkage adjustment     seemed pretty straightforward.

Ok I am curious if you removed the Phillips screw near the gear oil screw? DO NOT!! If you have not already. Now the shift linkages inside that connect with a screw I have found tend to go on easier when the motors are in reverse then you need to move the lower linkage and upper linkage back into neutral then tighten down the screw with the lower only open about 3/4 inch by this point. Slightly tricky but once that is done you should be all synced. If you removed that screw I mentioned disregard everything else as your lower is probably junk then. I have only come across a few motors with the annoying internal linkages so I am not an expert but give this a try.

2 hours ago, GB fishing nyc said:

Ok I am curious if you removed the Phillips screw near the gear oil screw? DO NOT!! If you have not already. Now the shift linkages inside that connect with a screw I have found tend to go on easier when the motors are in reverse then you need to move the lower linkage and upper linkage back into neutral then tighten down the screw with the lower only open about 3/4 inch by this point. Slightly tricky but once that is done you should be all synced. If you removed that screw I mentioned disregard everything else as your lower is probably junk then. I have only come across a few motors with the annoying internal linkages so I am not an expert but give this a try.

I’m not sure what you mean by open 3/4 of an inch. The lower unit is fine and clicks into all gears by hand fine and the pivot pin is in. After more work on it the actual shift lever seems to have too much play. The linkage connected to the  lever will not move with the lever the whole way. And the one adjustment bolt doesn’t actually tighten the linkage to the lever at all. Is the lever or linkage stripped and that’s why it has so much play? When I hold down the upper shift rod all the way the lever stays all the way up in reverse and there’s no play in it. But it doesn’t find forward until the lever is all the way down to the point where it hits the mounts and doesn’t find reverse. 

It is sounding like the handle is possibly missing a plastic grommet that might seat the shift rod better? It is hard to say not seeing it. I will search around for a video or diagram to better understand what might be happening i will get back to you about it tomorrow. 

Drop the lower unit..... four L/U retaining bolts and one (1) 3/8" hex head bolt from the brass shift linkage which becomes visible as the lower unit drops.

Before removing the 3/8" shift connector bolt, check to see that both bolts are securely tight and holding the upper and lower shift rod securely. A loose bolt will allow the rod to slip up/down within the brass connector somewhat.

With the L/U removed, secure the upper shift rod so that it cannot move, then attempt to move the shift lever. If the shift lever moves and the shift rod does not, then obviously some portion of the shift mechanism is either worn or not secured properly. 

I was not understanding the question, but now it makes sense.

GB is absolutely correct - if that shift rod coupler - visible inside, once you get an inch or so of separation - is slipping, you won't be shifting

11 mins ago, makorider said:

I was not understanding the question, but now it makes sense.

GB is absolutely correct - if that shift rod coupler - visible inside, once you get an inch or so of separation - is slipping, you won't be shifting

I think I’m getting the coupler secured correctly as i can get it shifting neutral to forward. No reverse. Which means it is is pulling the lower rod into up into forward gear, but the issue is in the linkage up top near the power head. It’s the part that attaches the upper shift rod directly to the shift lever. The lever seems to have too much play as it turns it doesn’t engage this linkage fully as its turning. It catches it eventually, which results in me getting the one shift from neutral to forward and back, but as I said it doesn’t hit forward gear until the lever. I won’t be back at my house up north for a week or so. But any and all suggestions I can try to get it synced help so thank you.

there used to be a website that was great for troubleshooting older Evinrude and Johnson 9.9 and 15 outboards that covered every aspect of these outboards. Can't remember the name.   I learned a lot from it. 

13 hours ago, whaler1889 said:

there used to be a website that was great for troubleshooting older Evinrude and Johnson 9.9 and 15 outboards that covered every aspect of these outboards. Can't remember the name.   I learned a lot from it. 

yeah...did it have antique in it?

A bunch of lettters/acronym with one being antique?