Kones1

Defund the NPS

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

When the land was taken over by the government there were agreements made and just like all government agreements they don’t mean szchittt

imagine what that area would look like if the NPS hadn't taken over the land...

9 hours ago, theshadow said:

In the last 50+ years I've seen it change and change and change.People have to be on that beach and keep an eye on those changes.The sand "givith and taketh away".Walking out from Snail rd. and monitoring what's going on there in the Peaked Bar area to High Head.Lots of sand out there now with those beach cuts in the way.Years ago we ran those cuts timing waves and "holding on for life and vehicle" as we slipped ,slid,& sank.Now like I commented prior most don't have vehicles with good clearance for that situation.So, disaster is looming.The seashore doesn't want to deal with it so close it problem solved.We stayed in the dune shacks out at Peaked hill for many years off and on.Years the waves were kissing the dune edge one year the next 200' of sand is there a year or 2 later.While staying in a shack a couple of years back[no vehicle] in October we heard engine noises.Looked out to the left and a truck was stuck up to the frame and they had run through the barrier at exit 8.They were at the bar and bend with incoming tide 200yds from the shack.Thank fully my cellphone worked and got a call to the visitors center to get a ranger out hopefully to them prior to the tide.2 came out and it took both to winch and strap them out as the tide was half up the tires.One of the rangers drove down to us and thanked us for calling.He said that it was going to cost him "quite a bit" and ban for sometime.Also,I've good and bad experiences with different rangers over the years which I won't go into.Bottom line,if you're going to bitch about it fine.Have documentation and facts at the ready to prove your point.Not just whine!!!!! Then be prepared for "we'll take that under consideration".We al now what that means...……...Sorry to rant.

Good read. Thanks !

4 hours ago, Kones1 said:

When the land was taken over by the government there were agreements made and just like all government agreements they don’t mean szchittt

I don't know which agreements you are referring to. Some links for reference would help me understand why you hate NPS so much.

I think one thing that's important to remember, the National Seashore was created in 1961. The world was a different place.

There was no federal Endangered Species Act.

There was very little awareness or concern for loss of birds or wildlife or for uncontrolled development obliterating our wild places.

The ORV users of the Cape were a comparatively small community. 

Then the decade of the 60s hit. Rachel Carson. Environmental awareness. The Conversation movement.

Leading to landmark laws of the 70s. Endangered Species Act. Clean Water Act. Clean Air Act. A bunch of others I can't name off hand, some archaeological ones that may be relevant to the National Seashore. 

All those new laws changed the way the National Seashore had to be administered. The ESA in particular has teeth, especially if you're a federal employee and you get dinged for squished plover chicks.

Meanwhile, every yahoo looking for a suntan and a cool place to drink beer is driving a 4WD suv. Nothing that crowd would like better than remote uncrowded beaches for to run wild.

It ain't 1960.

If you ask me, it's amazing that they are willing to juggle priorities and try to keep such a small and potentially destructive user group happy. I would think they could get away with shutting it down altogether. 

Seems like better to be grateful you can still get out there at all.

3 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

as much as I like to driveout on the beach,i am sure glad that most of it is closed,keeps those lazy fishermen at home. there a a few of us who still walk a mile for a camel

Hey redlight, u going ,  may go early

Ya walk, that was killing me walking up it.  Ima take your parking spot haha

14 mins ago, amh said:

I’m just grateful that our national sea shore isn’t Myrtle Beach 2.0

D9E61BA7-C4EC-4B2C-96EE-ED4C262BB663.jpeg

4c2ce8bf_z.jpg

Edited by Milky
Image wouldn't upload

2 hours ago, Milky said:

I don't know which agreements you are referring to. Some links for reference would help me understand why you hate NPS so much.

I think one thing that's important to remember, the National Seashore was created in 1961. The world was a different place.

There was very little awareness or concern for loss of birds or wildlife or for uncontrolled development obliterating our wild places.

Then the decade of the 60s hit. Rachel Carson. Environmental awareness. The Conversation movement.

Leading to landmark laws of the 70s. Endangered Species Act. Clean Water Act. Clean Air Act. A bunch of others I can't name off hand, some archaeological ones that may be relevant to the National Seashore. 

All those new laws changed the way the National Seashore had to be administered. The ESA in particular has teeth, especially if you're a federal employee and you get dinged for squished plover chicks.

Meanwhile, every yahoo looking for a suntan and a cool place to drink beer is driving a 4WD suv. Nothing that crowd would like better than remote uncrowded beaches for to run wild.

It ain't 1960.

If you ask me, it's amazing that they are willing to juggle priorities and try to keep such a small and potentially destructive user group happy. I would think they could get away with shutting it down altogether. 

In the original "agreement" back in1961.That "traditional use" prior to the making of The National Seashore was included.More or less this is what allows ORVs to continue access to the beach.Back in the 60's kids[me] growing up were into getting big engines and burning rubber so to speak.Driving a jeep or international scout type vehicle wasn't "cool" for the most part.The serious surf fishing group post WW2 and a few surfers used them.That was it.As the years passed the interest of "getting away from it all" became more popular.Thus times changed and rolling down an open beach to fish or surf[Saltwater Sportsman mag.The Beach Boys!!!!] was cool.

"I would think they could get away with shutting it down all together" is in the grand plan if "they" could get away with it.Be very carefull. What will be "managed" next? I agree that every Tom,Dick,&Harry drives one and it ruins those who have respect for these remote areas.Controls/closures really hit in 1985 due to the reckless use of a few.l.i.fish.in.vt and I agree.Get off your butt and enjoy the walk.

4 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Some can’t walk far. Government overreaching again. Mismanagement 

"Some can't walk far" has been in the mix for many many years.We've put that out at all the "hearings" over the years.Also,the use of vehicles for the bird "monitors" has been expressed over the years."We'll take that under advisement" and such has been the response.

5 hours ago, Milky said:

It ain't 1960.

I’ll never be grateful for scraps.....lots of ways to manage the masses.....get rid of weekly permits.....no need for them at all.

raise the price of yearly stickers and keep at least something open at all times.