Skeeterbait

Plastic zippers

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Is there any hope to fix them once you get one that starts to skip in a particular spot?

Just wondering if there is a zipper hack I need to know.

Seems that they tend to die over time and a perfectly good tent, bag, or jacket is toast.  These are all items I have replaced due to zipper failure.

I have a backpack that has started in.......Grrrrrr

Wish I could DIY help. I found a seamstress who for $20 did a new and better zipper install. Looked as new, worked better that new. It was worth the $20.

Ivory soap and run the zipper fast with a good grip on both ends will usually make it work a few more times. 

There's a tailor shop in downtown near me that's ben there for over 75 years I believe. Crazy Mongolian owns it now. He's fixed a buncha things for me over the past 30 years. Patching canvas waders, replacing suspender buttons or studs, zippers on heavy duty tops...

He hollers at me " Why you don't buy new jacket?!!"

I yell back  "Why don't you fix this one and take my money?"

Then he smiles and says see you next week.  

The next failure of any of those items were not on his work. :th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

bag repairs need special sewing machine so you may have some trouble finding cleaners that will do it right.

cordura and the likes, on a standard zipper seam is 2 layers of coated fabric per seam and zipper tape, the corners or seam intersections are 4 and so forth...  they usually need a walking foot machine or some other specialty to do this... plus the thread size is thicker as well.

if you replace zippers, get reputable brands such as YKK.

plastic teeth that are injected onto the tape can break or if the tape is woven too loosely as in most cheap zipper brands, the teeth does not stay in alignment and it can chip/break.

good luck... but once zip teeth are broken, you should replace the zipper.  sadly nothing is made to last any more these days.

and Ben's recommendations are good... i sometimes rub a candle on the new zippers to make it smooth as well.

Edited by kinghong1970

Once the skip they are fried:eek:WD-40 to budge the salt out on stuck zippers. Now is the time to chapstick or wax, and then test ALL zippers that will see the salt.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plastic zipper teeth with a metal slider? - If so you can usually remedy the skipping issue by slightly squeezing together both halves of the bottom of the metal zipper slider with pliers

Edited by SC

They make replacement metal zippers that come in two parts. you loosen a thumbscrew to open it enough to get it n the zipper tape, and tighten the thumbscrew to male it work...ou can adjust the tension