spinr0k

Snakeheads

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

I love snakeheads. I usually keep 1 or 2 and release the rest. I actually stopped chasing largemouth for snakeheads. I have always loved small mouth but here on the susky the small mouth depleted. once i found the snakes my love for them grew as they are like a small mouth in the way they crush topwater. actually getting ready to start chasing them here very soon. just waiting for the water to warm up a little on the west side

I'm excited to get after them again this season. I'm down in Stafford, VA and Aquia Creek is a great snakehead area, but there are so many friggin gar in there as well. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:23 PM, BlueHwy said:

Around what water temp do they start to get active?

Any warm sunny day they are active, they have been loading up on them even on 60 degree days here lately.  Key is finding a good spot where they can warm up.

On 3/22/2021 at 6:43 PM, BlueHwy said:

I hope to head out sometime this week.

Minnows are obviously hitting but if you like throwing artificial, white swim baits with an under spinner or the Anglers snakehead spinner with the blade up front are good choices right now. Slow roll on the swim baits down the reed edge. 

Thanks! I will probably pickup some minnows at anlger's and take some artificials too. I need to check if I have any in white.

I was hoping to get out Thurs and Sat, but now Thurs is shot (work). Still hoping for Saturday. Sunday looks too wet.

12 hours ago, BlueHwy said:

I was hoping to get out Thurs and Sat, but now Thurs is shot (work). Still hoping for Saturday. Sunday looks too wet.

Fish are already wet, they don't care... might be easier to find parking among the bank warriors...

The good ol Mepps is also one.  My plan is to get out Saturday and use some frogs and spinners to see what I can get to bite.

I am waiting on the cicadas to come out so I can try them :)

Saturday the bite was on fire, catching both LMB and SH's.  I only had a few hours in the afternoon I could go but was not disappointed!  They loved the frog but also my elcheapo walmart spinners as well.  A monster snapped my line and took my favorite Mepps spinner with it :(

sh032721.jpg

Going to be down Cambridge area this weekend . Bring kayaks. What are water temps like? Are the snakes deep or is there a surface bite yet? 

They are moving everywhere, as long as it isn't a cold breeze going I would try the usual spots.  They are loving some frog action at the moment.