spinr0k

Snakeheads

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

I can't be the only one targeting these guys on here on the shore?!?  They are good eating fish no matter what you think of them, one heck of a fight as well. Over the past few years I have grown to love these ugly fish, mostly because the firm meat holds up well to grilling and smoking.

0808201855.jpg

Blackwater is the mecca in the area for them, but they can be found all over the place now.  The Wicomico has them now as well, heck even Salisbury city park is full of them (I wouldn't eat them from there).  They are a fun fish to try and get into a canoe or kayak, they will death roll on you while trying to get the lure out and possibly jump ship.  I use a mix of spinner baits, buzzbaits, and frogs for them. 

Nice, that looks awesome.  I did my last one rolled in coconut shavings and fan fried them, it turned out awesome.   Its such a firm meat it holds up well to grilling.

The SH is no different than any of the other alien predator fish introduced to new waters of the USA over the past century, the list is looong.  I've often said that a SH can do everything a LMBass can do... only difference is the SH does it all much better.

On 8/21/2020 at 0:31 PM, spinr0k said:

The Wicomico has them now as well, heck even Salisbury city park is full of them (I wouldn't eat them from there).  

Really? didn't know that. I'll be in Salisbury Wed. I'll have to try while I'm there, never caught one before. Thanks!

Just having the sight doesn’t mean there are snakeheads. I’ve seen them in some small tributaries in the nanticoke, but that’s it. Not that there aren’t snakeheads there, but I’ve only caught bass and pickerel in the park.

They are in the park, I have tried going after them in the past and seen them, I have better spots for them now and haven't gone back, but they ARE there.

You want to find them by looking for them first, they breath air and have tell tale signs they are in the area, once you know they are there it is just picking the right lure and putting the time in to figure out how to get them to bite.

This article is from 2014!  http://www.wboc.com/story/25822348/fisherman-catching-snakehead-fish-in-salisbury-city-park

Edited by spinr0k
added link

Pic of one of the last ones, I use the cheap walmart spinner baits and they love them, either that or frogs with bb's in them and the hooks bent up for a better hookup.

SH.jpg