ksong

Monster tarpon on a plug in Florida

Rate this topic

555 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, ksong said:

Mike Basnite got a monster tarpon on subdarter using 12' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 1 oz -6oz and IRT 800 reel

received_502323020613529.jpeg

How anyone can say this fish is in the water baffles me. would you fish or have you ever fished in that supposed water. I highly doubt it. 

14 mins ago, ksong said:

OK. I will ask the interpretation of "in the water" to the FL department. If i am wrong, I appologize.

You've doubled down every time someone (very respectfully I might add) attempted to steer you towards an out on this. It's pretty safe to say everyone on this thread knows exactly where you stand on handling fish when you're far from home. Do you do this to your local fish?  That fish Mike dragged up on the beach was older than he is, it deserved better. Physically, tarpon are durable. I've caught them with scars you couldn't imagine, from sharks, dolphins, and god knows what else. Physiologically, they can't take it. They stress out, and frequently die shortly after release. Right now there are tarpon corpses everywhere. Melbourne, Vero, N. Hutchinson. I guarantee every one of those was a "successful release" by your standards.

5 hours ago, ksong said:

OK. I will ask the interpretation of "in the water" to the FL department. If i am wrong, I appologize.

Anxious to hear their response. Please post it.

I am glad DennisBKLYN215 posted those photos. It highlights the hypocrisy of this discussion. If this thread is going to down the road of crucifying Kil over his photo then we all need to call out EVERYONE that does this. There are many popular contributors to SOL, some of whom we hold in very high esteem, who if you took the time to go through their social media and youtube pages, you will notice the very same if not WORSE handling of large tarpon (according to the law). These are not bass and I struggle to see how anyone is going to remove two treble hooks from a large tarpon's hard mouth without beaching it to some degree. Heck, i've seen photos and videos of experienced anglers dragging tarpon onto rocks to unhook a bucktail! And what about the kayakers who lift their tarpon half way out of the water for a photo as well? I'm just saying to have this same energy for everyone and not just one person. All of this "where are you from again" crap is unnecessary! 

8 mins ago, bajanfish said:

I am glad DennisBKLYN215 posted those photos. It highlights the hypocrisy of this discussion. If this thread is going to down the road of crucifying Kil over his photo then we all need to call out EVERYONE that does this. There are many popular contributors to SOL, some of whom we hold in very high esteem, who if you took the time to go through their social media and youtube pages, you will notice the very same if not WORSE handling of large tarpon (according to the law). These are not bass and I struggle to see how anyone is going to remove two treble hooks from a large tarpon's hard mouth without beaching it to some degree. Heck, i've seen photos and videos of experienced anglers dragging tarpon onto rocks to unhook a bucktail! And what about the kayakers who lift their tarpon half way out of the water for a photo as well? I'm just saying to have this same energy for everyone and not just one person. All of this "where are you from again" crap is unnecessary! 

If it gets put up in a thread on the main forum of one of the most heavily trafficked fishing sites on the internet there's guaranteed to be some pushback. This is literally one of the most visible ways of putting content out to the fishing community. If those other anglers you cite made similar posts here in the main I can almost guarantee you they would get similar kickback.

If a poster doesn't want the feedback or the negatity they probably just shouldn't post.

4 mins ago, bajanfish said:

What's so hard about following rules and regulations,  not to mention recommendations about how to handle protected species correctly? This has nothing to do with striped bass. They do not have gamefish status,  unfortunately. 

Who are these popular contributors you speak of that you hold in high esteem with social media pages?  We are fishermen, some guys are better at it, some guys fish more, some put in tons of time, study it and get to reap the rewards.

Honestly,  these arguments get boring. What abouts...are worthless if you're a true sportsman. There is no hypocrisy here. You try to do the right thing all the time to protect the sport you love. I don't think anybody is trying to crucify Kil. Problem is he pushes a product under his name (apparently a good product too). But, that doesn't mean you can bend, twist or circumnavigate the obvious. Doubling down on being ignorant doesn't help matters.

I'm interested in hearing the response from On (in) The Water Florida or whoever he is reaching out to.:waiting:

I believe Kil is not afraid of the feedback nor the negativity because if he did he would've stopped posting a long long time ago as you suggested. He believes there were no laws broken hence his pushback on these comments. He even took it upon himself to get clarity for interpretation on the laws and even said would apologize if he was in the wrong. How many in this site would do that?

13 mins ago, SIC34 said:

What's so hard about following rules and regulations,  not to mention recommendations about how to handle protected species correctly? This has nothing to do with striped bass. They do not have gamefish status,  unfortunately. 

Who are these popular contributors you speak of that you hold in high esteem with social media pages?  We are fishermen, some guys are better at it, some guys fish more, some put in tons of time, study it and get to reap the rewards.

Honestly,  these arguments get boring. What abouts...are worthless if you're a true sportsman. There is no hypocrisy here. You try to do the right thing all the time to protect the sport you love. I don't think anybody is trying to crucify Kil. Problem is he pushes a product under his name (apparently a good product too). But, that doesn't mean you can bend, twist or circumnavigate the obvious. Doubling down on being ignorant doesn't help matters.

I'm interested in hearing the response from On (in) The Water Florida or whoever he is reaching out to.:waiting:

31 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

If it gets put up in a thread on the main forum of one of the most heavily trafficked fishing sites on the internet there's guaranteed to be some pushback. This is literally one of the most visible ways of putting content out to the fishing community. If those other anglers you cite made similar posts here in the main I can almost guarantee you they would get similar kickback.

If a poster doesn't want the feedback or the negatity they probably just shouldn't post.

Oh but they do! And in some cases their videos are featured in magazines that are very popular among us surfcasters and I am yet to see any kind of push back towards them as i'm seeing here...

I fully support rules and regulations as I live on an island where there are virtually none and I continuously see the effects of a lack of oversight. That said i also like people to be fair and consistent. Don't kill Kil and let everyone else slide.. 

You asked for names.. I encourage you to go watch Comanche Surfcasting's "TheSIlverKing" video and tell me whether they are adhering to the letter of the law. How about Crazy Alberto? A quick overview of his AND Tactical Anglers social media pages show numerous tarpon in very similar positions. Are they not pushing product as well? These persons are all very supportive of sustainable fishing practices, conservation and catch and release, as i'm sure Mike and Kil are. I believe they all try to respect the fishery but sometimes, common sense and safety dictate otherwise. Like i said - BE CONSISTENT!

43 mins ago, bajanfish said:

Oh but they do! And in some cases their videos are featured in magazines that are very popular among us surfcasters and I am yet to see any kind of push back towards them as i'm seeing here...

I fully support rules and regulations as I live on an island where there are virtually none and I continuously see the effects of a lack of oversight. That said i also like people to be fair and consistent. Don't kill Kil and let everyone else slide.. 

You asked for names.. I encourage you to go watch Comanche Surfcasting's "TheSIlverKing" video and tell me whether they are adhering to the letter of the law. How about Crazy Alberto? A quick overview of his AND Tactical Anglers social media pages show numerous tarpon in very similar positions. Are they not pushing product as well? These persons are all very supportive of sustainable fishing practices, conservation and catch and release, as i'm sure Mike and Kil are. I believe they all try to respect the fishery but sometimes, common sense and safety dictate otherwise. Like i said - BE CONSISTENT!

Got it, so either:

1) The photo in the OP falls within the rules, regulations and recommendations of Florida F&G for the handling of tarpon 40" + in your opinion?

And/or

2) Comanche  Surfcasting and Alberto have similar photos on other media pages and should be called out too or leave Kil alone on this site?

I digress  and  will wait for the opinion of OTW Florida. 

11 hours ago, pete214 said:

How anyone can say this fish is in the water baffles me. would you fish or have you ever fished in that supposed water. I highly doubt it. 

Good question. Kil make sure you share the picture with FWC so they can interpret if this fish is “in the water”.