ksong

Monster tarpon on a plug in Florida

Rate this topic

555 posts in this topic

Wow.  Even for him, that's one hell of a monster catch. Is there an estimated weight?

Is it legal in Florida to remove a tarpon from the water? You might remind him to check on that.

2 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Nope, tarpon over 40 inches must remain in the water at all times including body, head and gills.

Still in the water...I guess. :laugh:

Seriously, how is anyone to safely remove a plug that far down the throat of a fish that size without removing it from the water. He's in the surf not on a boat. There appears to be plenty of water coming and going to safely handle the fish and release it healthy. Luckily that fish was caught where it was and now here in the caribbean where it wouldn't be released at all and would end up on a dinner plate. 

1 hour ago, bajanfish said:

Seriously, how is anyone to safely remove a plug that far down the throat of a fish that size without removing it from the water. He's in the surf not on a boat. There appears to be plenty of water coming and going to safely handle the fish and release it healthy. Luckily that fish was caught where it was and now here in the caribbean where it wouldn't be released at all and would end up on a dinner plate. 

Guess that is the moral argument. I personally don't target them with big plugs so you can break them off if need be, or target them in rough conditions so you can swim out with them like everyone else does who is concerned about what fwc says, but hey what would I know. However you want to justify it to get a good picture is your choice, but it also comes at the price of losing the respect of every serious angler who follows the regulations. If that mattered to you, you wouldn't continue to do it, same as spotburning places for advertisement, but it doesn't so it is it was it is.

14 mins ago, dennysnook said:

Guess that is the moral argument. I personally don't target them with big plugs so you can break them off if need be, or target them in rough conditions so you can swim out with them like everyone else does who is concerned about what fwc says, but hey what would I know. However you want to justify it to get a good picture is your choice, but it also comes at the price of losing the respect of every serious angler who follows the regulations. If that mattered to you, you wouldn't continue to do it, same as spotburning places for advertisement, but it doesn't so it is it 

Dennis, you must be boring as you argue for nothing. :)

2 hours ago, bajanfish said:

Fair point.

And now we know of a third person, Mike Basnite, who is using the IRT reels.