Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capequahog

fish ID

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

^^^what he said...if you've been to Florida and caught what the locals call a 'whiting', you actually caught the very close relative (and spitting image), southern kingfish...but they can't call them kingfish down there because that's what Floridians call king mackerel...lol

I've heard Northern Kingfish also called Minkfish, King Whiting, Sea Mullet, Roundheads,  and Northern Whiting.

They they are in the Drum family - along with Weakfish, Atlantic Croaker, Red Drum & of course Black Drum.

Interesting.  I was scratching my head when I saw that was a northern kingfish because when I fished the outer banks a kingfish was a much different and toothier fish so I had to look it up.  A ‘southern’ and ‘northern’ kingfish are a totally different fish than a kingfish. Thanks for posting

17 mins ago, greenhornet73 said:

Interesting.  I was scratching my head when I saw that was a northern kingfish because when I fished the outer banks a kingfish was a much different and toothier fish so I had to look it up.  A ‘southern’ and ‘northern’ kingfish are a totally different fish than a kingfish. Thanks for posting

You’re thinking of king mackerel.

13 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

when I fished the outer banks a kingfish was a much different and toothier fish so I had to look it up.

On the OBX Northern and Southern kingfish are called Sea Mullet so as not to confuse them with King Mackerel, as Mako said.

The regional differences in common fish names can get awfully confusing. Sometimes i think we should just stick to the Latin species designations. :wee:

14 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Yep, kind of like some people where I live call walleye pike 

if memory serves, the true name for walleye is walleyed pike... 

Up here we have northern pike and since walleyes are in the perch family when someone refers to a pike it is more likely to be referring to a ‘northern’.  There is really no similarity to northern pike and walleyes I’m terms of bone structure, fishing techniques or taste so there is really no reason to call them a pike unless there are no ‘northerns’ in that particular body of water but still causes confusion.  It’s like calling crappie a ‘calico’ bass even though they are not similar to a black bass(largemouth, smallmouth, spotted) but all in the sunfish family in this case.

Edited by greenhornet73
Wrong info