PSegnatelli

Would you eat fish from our rivers?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Would you?  

Housy, CT, Q , Thames. The dreaded Naugatuck

Are they any worse than the farm raised stuff out of Asia?

I would but with limitations. Smaller fish mainly. Probably a slot striper.  

Just curious. 

I’d stick with fish like shad, white perch, striper that are not spending their whole lives in the river. I suspect those are accumulating all the toxins left from our industrial revolution days when all manner of stuff was just dumped into the rivers to be washed to the sea. 

I wouldn’t eat any fresh water fish. Saltwater fish are probably OK as they are only in the river for a short amount of time. I’ve eaten porgy, fluke and tog from the Thames and haven’t died yet...

I ate some bass out of the Charles during the late '90's.

I swam in it often during July and August too.

:wave:

12 hours ago, flylikabird said:

I ate some bass out of the Charles during the late '90's.

I swam in it often during July and August too.

:wave:

I used to drink from the housy & naugy when I was a kid.   It's hot, ur thirsty.  Whats a boy to do?  

I dont eat anything from the housie or naugatuck.  In addition to the industrial waste/discharges from the past, there are multiple sewage plants that still currently discharge into these rivers that have had untreated releases.  The release from the waterbury plant two years back caused a fishkill in the Naugie.  I do watch people harvest salmon in the fall.  Nothing sounds more appetizing than a broodstock salmon that lived on pellets its whole life and then was marinaded in poo water for a couple weeks, yummm.

I used to eat freshwater fish from the Mianus and Byram Rivers (the latter well upstream) when I lived in Greenwich, close ot 50 years ago.  Still alive, so it probably didn't do too much harm.

i usually eat two or three fish per year, from fresh or salt.  i'm rolling the dice that it's no more poisonous than any other environmental poison i'm exposed to.  

Most stripers you eat in CT waters spends some time in the Hudson, CT River, and all the way to the Thames each year. Anywhere you catch it is equal risk in my opinion, very few legal holdovers in my local rivers

Eating striped bass intuitively seems cleaner....being a migratory fish that typically spends its life swimming  away from the warmest water has to count for something. the holdover population is my only concern.

I harvest 3-5? a year—mainly those that lost a lot of life in the fight or were foul hooked. If we’re talking keeping big stripers every week for years then I would be a bit concerned? Still can’t be much worse than the protein from the stores.