Bluefish Recipes (only for the true fans)

Rate this topic

Samba Surf

I’m hoping to hear people’s favorite ways to prepare bluefish.  Also if anyone has successful methods of preservation that’d be awesome too.  I am posting this with caution as I’m well aware many of you do not enjoy eating bluefish.  I am hoping to be spared all of the negative opinions and “eat the board” jokes.  I’ve heard them all.  I happen to truly enjoy eating bluefish.  Im looking for suggestions from anyone who enjoys cooking their catch as much as I do and likes to share their recipes.  Thanks so much!

27 mins ago, Samba Surf said:

I’m hoping to hear people’s favorite ways to prepare bluefish.  Also if anyone has successful methods of preservation that’d be awesome too.  I am posting this with caution as I’m well aware many of you do not enjoy eating bluefish.  I am hoping to be spared all of the negative opinions and “eat the board” jokes.  I’ve heard them all.  I happen to truly enjoy eating bluefish.  Im looking for suggestions from anyone who enjoys cooking their catch as much as I do and likes to share their recipes.  Thanks so much!

it is very good smoked,

find recepies how to smoke salmon or

filet let skin on,put spice what you like on meat,put in fridge 4 hours or over night,next day,cold smoke or hot smoke.you can hot smoke on grill.

Good friend from Falmouth,Ma , cooked some fillets in  a casserole dish, covered with

French dressing.  Cooked in microwave for about 8 minutes.

Stuff an eight to ten pounder like a turkey and bake in oven. 

Salt and pepper fillets and broil in butter.

I happen to like blue fish.  Above recipes are all good. 

I wrote a story for Angler's Journal on three ways to eat big bluefish. 

Search Angler's Journal and Block Island Bluefish and you will find it

PM me if you want specifics.  The ceviche recipe is off the hook, but you have to use really fresh, iced, and bled bluefish. 

Edited by CS
Removed commercial link

2 hours ago, BobBass said:

I enjoy frying them whole in a simple flour and spice mixture. 12-13” range.  Simple but tasty- just do it outside lol. I am saving for a smoker. 

I smoke all but the largest blues once a year. All day project. Fish bacon. It took me a few tries to get it perfect. Common mistake people make is overdoing it and they turn out dry. The meat is not as oily as people say. I have a smoker so thats what I use. A grill can be used to smoke. Done that before and it works great if you really know your grill.

2 hours ago, hookmeup said:

Look up fast Vietnamese bluefish (now on NY times cooking). It’s really good. 

I have cut into 2” chunks and frozen them in water. Came out great even after a few years. 

Agree with this completely. Melissa Clark’s Vietnamese caramel bluefish from ny times cooking  is my absolute favorite.   I cut back on the brown sugar a bit though. 

If asian flavors aren’t your thing, Sam Sifton’s bluefish dijonaise from the same site is also pretty solid. 

Of the hundreds of times I’ve eaten bluefish it’s always been within 24 hours of being caught so not sure about preservation. 

32 mins ago, adams54 said:

I smoke all but the largest blues once a year. All day project. Fish bacon. It took me a few tries to get it perfect. Common mistake people make is overdoing it and they turn out dry. The meat is not as oily as people say. I have a smoker so thats what I use. A grill can be used to smoke. Done that before and it works great if you really know your grill.

What kind of smoker? My dad loves smoked trout and I live close to a trout stocked lake for those big ones in the fall

12 mins ago, BobBass said:

What kind of smoker? My dad loves smoked trout and I live close to a trout stocked lake for those big ones in the fall

I have a masterbuilt mds230s. Propane. Bought it maybe 3 yrs go for a steal. It was a floor model from HD. Pretty cheaply built but does the job. Theyre much pricer now for some reason.  I keep it in the garage and take it out when I need it. A smoker is nothing more then a metal box where you make smoke. I dont really buy into the gimmicks. The glass doors the electronic control etc. I dont need it to hold within 1 degree.

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

I like the dry tips from the smoker, its like fish jerky! My son actually cut a fillet into strips to make trail snacks. Contrary to popular practice I skin the fillets, cut each into 2 "loins" and remove the bloodline.  After a 24hr brine it's 4 hrs at 180 deg in Masterbuilt electric with external smoke generator.

post-15110-0-39573200-1461895421_thumb.jpg

As for recipes, properly cared for blue, even vac packed and frozen, can be used in almost any recipe.  Faves include Vietnamese Clay Pot, blackened, braised in Scampi sauce, and fried for tacos.

Edited by gellfex

13 hours ago, Sandeel95 said:

Good friend from Falmouth,Ma , cooked some fillets in  a casserole dish, covered with

French dressing

I do similar, but make my own dressing of mayo, a bit of soy, a bit of Worcestershire, bit of olive oil, bit of mustard, bit of white wine, garlic, and herbs. Cut deep slits on the skin side and in a dish pour 1/2 the dressing over it, forcing some into the slits. Flip over and pierce the flesh all over with a fork, Let marinade about 1/2 hour. Can be baked in an oven (put on some bread crumbs if you want). But is better on the grill in a fish basket, using the extra dressing to baste every few minutes.

Another uses some lemon slices, some onion slices, and some tomato in a casserole dish and baked. Haven't done that in a long time though.

And I don't take out the dark part - to me, that is the BEST part of the fillet.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174