TJ12

Fluke Fishing Setup off the beach

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looking for a new fluke rod and reel setup - what are some favorites? New setup will be mainly from the surf and not much off boat.

Edited by TJ12

Posted (edited)

I use 2. 

A 7ft med with a 4000 stradic 10lb braid.  For backbays and lighter stuff. 

8ft mh with a 4000bg. 15lb braid. I use this the most.   

Edited by PSegnatelli

There are two schools of thought on surf fluking rods. One is the 8' class surf rod, the other the 7'. Both work really well. 

I have an 8'6 Tsunami Airwave Elite with a Penn Spinfisher 4500 and I use this in spots where i need distance and also want to toss heavier (1-2oz) BT's off the surf. 

I also have a 7' Cousins (no longer made) spinning rod in a 10-20lb line class rod. It's great for 80% of my surf fluking situations. I have a 4K Shimano Stradic on it with 15lb braid. Any nice graphite rod made by a variety of manufacturers will work great. Same goes for the reel. A Shimano or Penn in a 3000-4000 size works best. Daiwa in a 3000-3500 size, and Quantum 40 size. Braid should be between 10-20lb.

IF you plan on using this setup on a boat for fluke/albies/schoolie stripers/cocktail blues, the 7' rod is the way to go. An 8' rod is not at home on a boat generally speaking. 

Hope this helps

On 8/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, Bunker1028 said:

I just got a 7' Mojo Inshore Heavy/Fast and a Daiwa BG 3000 from The Reel Seat in Brielle.

Great feel, very light, very happy.

I'd have maybe gone MH or M for my uses, but nonetheless thats a very nice setup right there.  

My son loves the star stellar lite surf 7'6" , but we seem to agree that its a little long for a crowded boat.   He switches to daiwa harrier 6'6" in the boat, and its perfect.  

I prefer a little lighter on shore, and find that a stCroix triumph 7' med (to 5/8oz) fast action with a 2000 size reel and 8lb fireline is about perfect.   

I am also using a tsnunami classic 7' mh lately, and its proven to be a great rod for the $$, more than capable of tossing Sp's and the like if I decide to mix it up.  The other med rods i have that are rated to 5/8oz tend to top off around 3/4 oz, so in that regard the MH extends the range into some very useable lures.    

On the other hand the med and med light rods are an absolute joy for dual use in Kingfishing while shore fluking. 

Someone above  posted "dont overthink it", which, in the end, is correct.   Most any med-fast 7' rod thats M or MH power with a 2500-3000 sized reel (shimano sizing) 10lb-20lb braid (8-10lb fireline) will be great for shore fluke and some boat use.  

Another one to try is the star stellar fast taper.  It gets very good reviews though I havent used one.  

4 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

There are two schools of thought on surf fluking rods. One is the 8' class surf rod, the other the 7'. Both work really well. 

I have an 8'6 Tsunami Airwave Elite with a Penn Spinfisher 4500 and I use this in spots where i need distance and also want to toss heavier (1-2oz) BT's off the surf. 

I also have a 7' Cousins (no longer made) spinning rod in a 10-20lb line class rod. It's great for 80% of my surf fluking situations. I have a 4K Shimano Stradic on it with 15lb braid. Any nice graphite rod made by a variety of manufacturers will work great. Same goes for the reel. A Shimano or Penn in a 3000-4000 size works best. Daiwa in a 3000-3500 size, and Quantum 40 size. Braid should be between 10-20lb.

IF you plan on using this setup on a boat for fluke/albies/schoolie stripers/cocktail blues, the 7' rod is the way to go. An 8' rod is not at home on a boat generally speaking. 

Hope this helps

Pretty much this. Don’t over complicate it. If’n ya wanna get cute go with the same size rods but switch to conventional gear. Or try and stick 1 on a fly when it’s super calm. 

I tend to fish really light jig heads in the 1/16 to 1/4 oz range and 3” gulp for fluke.  Keepers are hard to come by no matter what you use, so I target numbers.  I use a custom 7’ ultralight rod, 1000 size Shimano, 10 lb braid, and 10 to 15 lb mono leaders.  Super fun and can land the occasional keeper no problem.  

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

Hope this helps

Spot on advice here. I find I often reach for my 8 unless I am fishing where the fish are in the lip/wash. My 8 is just much more versatile if I want to switch to bass/blues on the fly. On a side note, I am about to pull the trigger on the same setup Spinfisher/Elite but I was gonna get the 9’6 (plugging, not fluke). Would the the 4500 be a good size for the 9’6? 

Edited by Sevendust111

13 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Spot on advice here. I find I often reach for my 8 unless I am fishing where the fish are in the lip/wash. My 8 is just much more versatile if I want to switch to bass/blues on the fly. On a side note, I am about to pull the trigger on the same setup Spinfisher/Elite but I was gonna get the 9’6 (plugging, not fluke). Would the the 4500 be a good size for the 9’6? 

I have that rod and reel combo and the 4500 size works well with it.

12 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

Just got the AWE 9’ 6” with the Slammer III 4500 and I think it pairs very well! I think they are around the same size?

Used to have it with the AWE 8’ 8” and thought it paired perfectly with that as well. 

1 min ago, adams54 said:

I have that rod and reel combo and the 4500 size works well with it.

Do you feel you sacrifice versatility when using a 9’6, vs a 9’? That is the only thing keeping Me from buying this set up. I really wish the Elite came in a 9’