Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLilly

And it begins

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Even though I’m ready for summer to be over with, I am not ready to start this chore. Might as well get started on it now that it’s not blazing hot outside. 

0BD292E4-8198-412F-8BA5-38F3F5057284.jpeg

5 hours ago, BLilly said:

Even though I’m ready for summer to be over with, I am not ready to start this chore. Might as well get started on it now that it’s not blazing hot outside. 

0BD292E4-8198-412F-8BA5-38F3F5057284.jpeg

3 cords split and stacked back in the coolness of April. 

I've got about 3/4 of a cord left over from last year...need to split about 2-3 for us and we supply a friend in wood, so I have about another 3-4 cords to split for her. All was cut to length and stacked last year....

1 hour ago, BLilly said:

I've got about 3/4 of a cord left over from last year...need to split about 2-3 for us and we supply a friend in wood, so I have about another 3-4 cords to split for her. All was cut to length and stacked last year....

Why stack unsplit?

7 hours ago, JaseB said:

Why stack unsplit?

Just so it dries well. It would be better if it were split and stacked to dry, but I usually don't feel like splitting it during the winter months....

5 hours ago, webfoot44 said:

21 cords split and stacked. I’m good for three years but I will probably process however many cords I use this year. 

How do you keep it from rotting over 3 years?

2 mins ago, BLilly said:

I was thinking the same thing if stored outside. Maybe inside in a dry environment? 

2 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

I was thinking the same thing if stored outside. Maybe inside in a dry environment? 

That would be a big wood shed for 21 cords. 

59 mins ago, BLilly said:

Just so it dries well. It would be better if it were split and stacked to dry, but I usually don't feel like splitting it during the winter months....

That's when I like to.  Warms you twice.

8 mins ago, JaseB said:

That's when I like to.  Warms you twice.

I grew up having to do that, usually when it was either bitter cold out or snow on the ground. That's when dad decided it was time that we split wood which was usually left to me to do....So I can't stand splitting wood in the winter to this day, and try to get all of the splitting done during the fall.  Also after working outside all day in the winter, I'm ready to just be inside next to the wood stove...

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, BLilly said:

I’ve been doing it this way for 27 years and I only had a problem one time.  I keep it all stacked in neat rows with plenty of air circulation and sunlight all day. The wood actually burns better the second year than it does the first. If you worry about rot you can cover the top a little. 

Edited by webfoot44