xjclint

Old gas removal service

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Anyone have suggestions for the best way to take 80 gallons of two year old gas out of a boat tank in my driveway? Are there mobile services that do this? I’m not sure I want to wait four weeks for a mechanic to do it this time of year.

Yes, there are services that do that. I had to have about 200 gallons of bad diesel pumped out of my boat several years ago.

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Yes, there are services that do that. I had to have about 200 gallons of bad diesel pumped out of my boat several years ago.

Any sense of price? They came to you?

30 mins ago, xjclint said:

Any sense of price? They came to you?

Yes they came to the marina. I don’t recall how much it cost just for the fuel pump out. It was part of a larger problem.

I have heated my shops (current one is about 5000 sq ft) with a waste oil furnace, and have been doing so for about 15 years. While it does save money, getting and moving and storing the waste oil is at times a real part time job, while I have never paid for oil,the tanks, pump and assorted mess that comes with it is a pain. I would have to think getting rid of old gas would be more difficult than the oil,while we have added at most 2 gallons of gasoline per 55 gallon drum, and it seems to burn off well, I dont think anyone would want old gas to burn in their waste oil furnaces.

I would suggest getting a couple of 55 gallon drums, going to harbor freight and buying an inexpensive (45 to 85 bucks) cast iron transfer pump and and hose. Im assuming the gas already has that "stale" smell meaning while it is still flammable, it is a lot less volatile, pump it in to the drums, and head to your nearest junkyard and  tell them what you have. The guys around here save all the fuel and use it in their yard, and will send off to their recycler  what they dont use. I would be surprised if they didnt take it, and maybe you may have to kick in a bit of coffee or lunch money to make it happen.