night owl

Silver bars

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Hello my friends. I hope all is well with all of you. 

Pure silver scratches so easily. Has anybody tried using a polish to remove light scratches from pure/fine silver bars? What did you use? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Just asking but do you need to clean the bars? From the mint? I personally never clean my bars or silver coins. Collectable silver coins go down in value if they are cleaned.

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, Ditchbag said:

there not jewelry just throw em in the safe with the amo.

Not jewelry? I consider a silver bar a bar of jewelry! :th:

Edited by night owl

3 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

Just asking but do you need to clean the bars? From the mint? I personally never clean my bars or silver coins. Collectable silver coins go down in value if they are cleaned.

It's collectable value will go down if NOT cleaned properly. But I'm not trying to clean it anyway. Scratches are considered damage. But seeing what polish does to scratches on my motorcycle forks, I'd think that there's a silver polish that could do the same thing. My motorcycle forks are like a mirror after I polish the scratches off.

You don’t clean scratches you buff them out or cover them. And I guess we agree to discuss cleaning any collectable silver coins or bars to remove the toning or to try and remove the scratches will decrease the collectable value. Are your motorcycle forks silver? Anyway good luck with what you are trying to do. :)

The only way to remove a scratch is with an abrasive as fine as it may be. 

In doing so you're removing small amounts of silver from the surface.  Since it’s value is calculated by weight, why would you do that?

Definitely worth less if you go to sell it.  why would someone buy a silver bar from you that was messed with? Plenty of original condition pieces out there. You will get less for your bar because it is not original. Leave it alone. 

4 hours ago, EBHarvey said:

it's value has nothing to do with its aesthetic appearance - weight is what matters.  leave them alone.

Not if they are from a ship wreck. 

7 hours ago, Ditchbag said:

there not jewelry just throw em in the safe with the amo.

Best advice

7 hours ago, jimmy1956 said:

Toning lets a potential buyer know they’re probably real. I’d leave them alone.