Bayhead87

Garmin striker plus

12 posts in this topic

I’ve been using one for 2 seasons. Overall for the low price point, it’s a very nice unit for a kayak. No charts but with the gps, you have tracking, waypoints and a speedometer, all important to me for safety and dialing in my fishing.

The biggest negative is the connections. The simple push in connections are very susceptible to corrosion and eventual failure. Admittedly, I did not to a good job of trying to mitigate and prevent corrosion and recently had to swap out the power cord for a new one ($30). I fear I will have to do the same for the transducer cable by the end of the season.

IMO, Best value out there.

For $20 more, you can go with the striker 4 plus which gives quick draw and a slightly bigger screen. The quick draw, maps and saves depths of the places you’ve been but it does not feature the ability for charts

My garmin finally completely crapped out. Made it about 2 seasons. Again I wasn’t as good as I should’ve been mitigating corrosion on the connections. Anyone have have suggestions on strategies for keeping the connections from corroding without it being too much of a pain when leaving the water?

I car top the yak so the battery/fish finder has to come off every trip and I don’t want it to add too much time to my launch/pack up.

Dip the connectors in water when you return home and remove kayak from car.

Put dielectric grease on fittings  when needed. Salt water kills everything :(

One of the guys I fish with in a kayak club tried DeoxIT®, #D5S-6 with success. It both cleans and protects the connections. I've used the dielectric grease with good results so far. My FF was cutting out midway through a day and I couldn't understand why. Of course it was the connections and once I cleaned and applied the dielectric miraculously its working again.