erz

Trident 11 vs 13 / other recommendations

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking to downsize from my gigantic Thresher 140 into something smaller.

I drive a short bed pickup and I hate having to deal with driving with an extra 9 feet off of the back of a full size truck and I don't really want to invest in a contractor/ladder rack..

I started looking into a smaller Trident 11 but it seems like a lot of people favor the 13s for the ocean—which isn't much of a downsize from my 14.5 foot kayak.

I do most of my fishing in the Raritan, some in Jamaica Bay and off of LI/NJ.. I'm just looking for something that can safely handle the ocean when it gets a little rougher.

Any recommendations or insight would be much appreciated as the 140 is the only kayak I have actually paddled consistently.

It seems like everybody has empty shelves so I don't expect that I'll be able to go paddle these things. Also, if anybody knows of any places that have an inventory of kayaks that information would be greatly valued!

The more research I do the more I want to just keep the 140.

:agree:

Bed extender makes all the difference.... when i used one i added saddles, they're not absolutely needed  but i liked the way the kayak sat in the bed with them,  they complement keeping a kayak with a hard chine straight & true and keeps the v shape  elevated away from the steel bar of the extender, some use pool noodles or foam attached to the bar, some use nothing....

Plenty of options out there but I bought a Harbor freight extender,  under 50 bucks with coupon..

20190529_181526.jpg.5da8313a5d88c3dd301d5d682aa30c7a.jpg.3dcc95900fbabba88868b564ed816db7.jpg

In the end a trident 13 is actually 13'6"

Prowler 13 is 13'4" so you'd only be shortening about a foot anyway,  at that point, if it were me,  id keep what i had....

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you’re looking for a recommendation and good advice I’ll say buy a Hobie Revo and don’t look back. I had the Trident 13 and loved the way it paddled and handled any conditions I was in. With that said, I could never keep up with the Hobie guys. I was thoroughly exhausted after a long day of paddling.Bought a Hobie and never looked back, hands free fishing and you can peddle for much longer than you can paddle. The fishing experience on a Hobie is far greater than the Trident. 

Edited by Racerx919

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depending on your wheelbase, you may be exceeding the limits of the law with 14’6” yak in a short bed pickup. The extenders on the auction site are 48” verses the 36” Horror Fright model.

F832D9B4-7F65-49B8-B416-4DE128B4C6D1.jpeg

Edited by cheech
Spelling

Trying to drive around Staten Island/Crooklyn with the extra length on the back can be a real pain.

I may just invest in a bed or ladder rack. It should be interesting trying to find one that's compatible with a trifold.

Sell the tri fold & put a cap and rack on it...

imo, cap is so much mote versatile, i went from bare bed to cap, never had a tonneau...

Very happy with my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120...12 foot 3 inch. 63 pounds.  It was between that and the Trident 13 for me. The deal on the T120 came up first.  The pedal boats are attractive for fishing. But i don't have that kind of money now and they're all way too heavy to cartop without the $500 Hullivator and a cart adding even more to the package. I'm keeping it simple. Easy in, easy out. Three years later I still like it and don't want to change.

Trident kayaks are great at moving gear through the surf zone. Lots of storage. The kayak however

is very slow. It also has a soft hull that deforms easily. You may want to consider a prowler . It paddles better and has a durable hull.  Good luck with your decision. 

trident612014 002.JPG