Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

Odd / weird technique that just works

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I am just here watching TV and saw this guy rubbing a pencil on the gear teeth as a lubricant since dirt will get in and gum up the grease if you use it. It might be something you know but it's really new to me. 

Then just this afternoon I was fixing a leaky faucet and learned what's graphite packing. Never heard of it until today.

What are things that just not common and odd but you guys just knows it freaking works?

6 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

Metal fly rod ferrule lube - rub on the side of your nose before inserting top in bottom or vice a versa.

Nose grease, yupyup. Best ferrule "lube" there is. 

On 8/18/2020 at 4:08 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Graphite is a great "lube" for lots of things. Locks being another one. 

Locks , funny you mention that. Never new graphite powder exist until the home depot guy told me. You know I would have squirt some WD40 and call it a day right?

More pencil magic- If an older wrought brass plumbing fitting or trap develops a sand/ blowhole, insert a pencil point, break it off, leak fixed!

11 hours ago, foxfai said:

You know I would have squirt some WD40 and call it a day right?

You and a million other people. 

I will rant once again,... WD40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT ! WD stands for water displacement. It gets water off a surface, but leaves a residue that should be wiped off. You must then lubricate the area if need be.

On a related note that I have also mentioned before... Got a sticky slider door? Especially a slider screen?

First vacuum and clean the track and rollers. Then spray with Pledge furniture wax. This will dry and provide the lube needed without attracting dirt, and debris.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:07 PM, Ben Lippen said:

Nose grease, yupyup. Best ferrule "lube" there is. 

Yup you can marvel the youngsters by sticking a spoon on your nose, or picking them up by their ears.

Another old classic plumbers trick when the main wouldnt completely shut off and you needed to solder- stuff bread in the pipe and have at it. You could also break the union at the meter and just let it drip into a bucket.

Now days you can spend a few bucks and use a Sharkbite fitting.

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Another old classic plumbers trick when the main wouldnt completely shut off and you needed to solder- stuff bread in the pipe and have at it. You could also break the union at the meter and just let it drip into a bucket.

Must suck when that bread ends up in your faucet aerators!

2 hours ago, gellfex said:

Must suck when that bread ends up in your faucet aerators!

The next step is to open the faucets with the aerators unscrewed. It works when the drip is just enough to be a pain. The bread breaks down fairly fast being pushed through the pipes.

The bread method was more a basement trick. The bread completely disintegrates, unless you use foccaccia, lol. Any work upstairs can be accomplished sans bread by opening a hose bib, a basement faucet, disconnecting a laundry hose or closing the HWH valve on the hot.

5 hours ago, cheech said:

So you just open up the connection with all the water pouring and stuff bread into the pipe?