Fadetoblack188

Split grips ??

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Are split grips the new thing?  Who likes them?

looking for a new back bay spinning striper rod 7ft and so much has a split grip now and I just can’t get myself to get one. 

I have never fished with one, I don’t know just can’t see myself getting use to it. 

Love the split grip on my blackhole Suzuki. But I honestly don't notice a difference between split and full grip when I'm fishing. I'm too focused on my retrieve to think about what is actually under my hands.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't notice the split grips on any of my rods,i'm fishing not thinking about grips.

when I cast,still not thinking about grips.

what is there to get used to?

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Not a fan of them at all personally, give me a paco grip or a full length low profile shrink tube or cork tape wrap. I see a lot of foreign rod manufactures (BH as an example) using the split concept. They're just not my thing.

I hated them on freshwater bass rods and hate them even more on saltwater inshore rods. My guess is it's cheaper and easier to mass produce since they're using less materials. 

2 hours ago, SC said:

Split grips have been around longer than anyone reading this

Does that mean we must like them? Who cares how long they’ve been around, I personally don’t care for them at all.

But if you like them, that’s good for you.

No big thing to me.  It looks cool on my BH Suzuki and I have a fair number of Japanese rods that use them too.  As long as I have a fore grip and Butt Cap I am good to go.  Some of the Japanese rods don’t even have a fore grip.  That I don’t care for too much

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I don't care either way.  If I like the rod I like it

I go as you do,much more for the rods feel,,the grips don't matter much if at all.

I do prefer a cork grip over tape due to the much easier gripping[thickness] of the rod.

a thin blank with shrink tape is not good for my large mits.

fishing with winches the exposed blank is under my arm so,it does not matter much.

would still buy a rod I like weather it had split or full grips.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I love split grips, my lighter 8' surf rod has them, as do a few of my inshore rods. No one touches 80% of a full rear grip anyway. Boat rods, yes, to protect the blank from rod holders.

7 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I go as you do,much more for the rods feel,,the grips don't matter much if at all.

I do prefer a cork grip over tape due to the much easier gripping[thickness] of the rod.

a thin blank with shrink tape is not good for my large mits.

fishing with winches the exposed blank is under my arm so,it does not matter much.

would still buy a rod I like weather it had split or full grips.

HH

I too like cork over cork tape.  The problem for me is that I chunk about half the time and use pretty big thick rods.  Cork would make the butt section around 1-3/4” which is a bit too big.  On smaller rods I really do like cork.  

Have some each way. Have built some each way. I guess it is the most important thing after of course rod length, power, action, number of eyes, placement of eyes, type of eye, placement of reel seat, type of reel seat, color of reel. Color of thread, and does it match your purse (sorry I  mean surf bag).