reelfire

Slammer 3 for Panama Jigging

15 posts in this topic

Heading to Panama next spring. Will be kayak fishing . Jigging and posing for everything from rooster fish to cubera snapper.

I'm proud owner of 4500 and 5500 slammer 3.

I'm looking to go to bigger reels for this trip. That being said I dont want to go any bigger than necessary. 

I know my 5500 isn't big enough. Thinking the 8500 high speed would be right.  What is your opinion on my decision?

Im currently in El Salvador and if the current Covid situation wasn't a PITA I would be out casting for massive snook and Roosters as I'm typing this. The recommendation for throwing poppers for roosters is a reel capable of holding 500 mas or menos yds of 50lb spectra that retrives +40 inches of line per revolution, making the 6500 SALTIST the go to for most traveller's who are conscious of how far they open their wallet.  From a kayak you could probably get away with a lil smaller considering the ability to make the fish drag you around, instead of being glued to one spot. I had a 6500 slammer.... things heavy.. if I was in your position the 6500 slammer is as big as I would go unless you're open to different brands and models. 

Since the 6500 comes in a high speed model too would that be a better option then the regular 6500.

Thanks

Steve

The only difference between the standard and the high-speed is 6inches per handle turn. (48" vice 42") for popping roosters maybe? But for jigging cuberas probably not. I would stay with the standard model 

8 mins ago, johndtuttle said:

Jig with low speed reels or pay the price in extra effort.

Pop with high speed reels.

Ok so with that being said which size to pop with?

Posted (edited) · Report post

6500 minimum for either, imo, but if in blue water or jigging/poppin' the sea mounts the sky is the limit on size (8500 min for bluewater, imo).

I wouldn't bother with less than 60# braid. 100# easy for larger models.

It definitely is nice to have smaller tackle for the near shore jacks and such or if the bite is smaller models, but easy to get undergunned in Panama.

Edited by johndtuttle

3 mins ago, johndtuttle said:

6500 minimum for either, imo, but if in blue water or jigging/poppin' the sea mounts the sky is the limit on size (8500 min for bluewater, imo).

I wouldn't bother with less than 60# braid. 100# easy for larger models.

It definitely is nice to have smaller tackle for the near shore jacks and such or if the bite is smaller models, but easy to get undergunned in Panama.

Thanks. Going to be out of kayaks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, reelfire said:

Pangas.

Well, they can run you out practically anywhere.

1. Near shore SW crocs are real. Don't mess around at the dock. Ever.

2. Bluewater begins very close to shore of Coiba or Montuosa etc if you run all the way out there.

Edited by johndtuttle

On 8/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, johndtuttle said:

Well, they can run you out practically anywhere.

1. Near shore SW crocs are real. Don't mess around at the dock. Ever.

2. Bluewater begins very close to shore of Coiba or Montuosa etc if you run all the way out there.

Sorry been tied up with work. Thanks for your input.

im in similar situation...best buddy lives in Panama.  I just bought 6500 slammer hs......agreed surfjunki the older saltiest 6500hs is the reel of choice...but I went slammer bc my old saltiest failed at bail and handle...and so have many others. mainly will use for popping tuna from panga  and walking beaches for rooster.....note that the time of year will dictate the tuna size.....im not positive but it seems feb - march usually 20-60 lb.  rare 100.  later in the summer bigger fish.....my buddy setup is saltiest 6500hs w key largo jigging rod 30-80.  I found these shorter rods sweet for casting 4oz lures and much easier to deal with on a panga than the ten ft rod I brought......

I'll be in kayak. I could care less about tuna. I have two fish on bucket list. Rooster and cubbera snapper.

Thanks for input

I would not necessarily say your 5500 is too small. I was in Panama at Los Buzos last year and only used my big reel for live baiting. 

For popping or jigging I used a Saltiga 4000H which I love because of the low weight (only 15.9 oz) in combination with good drag and it worked flawlessly. 

The 5500 is also not overly heavy and has good drag. 

As you're in a kayak you don't need a big spool with enormous amount of line. You just simply let the fish drag you along in case of a big rooster or cubera.

So I would not invest in the 6500 for jigging or popping.