jolly mon

What's the deal on moving to NY with a handgun

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Will my Granddaughter's Coast Guard husband is getting sent to USGC Staten Island and he owns one handgun , I told him to find out what he has to do to comply with NY law , The dumb ass said it going to be on Base so it shouldn't matter , So any of you New York fellas know what he needs to do .

4 hours ago, jolly mon said:

Will my Granddaughter's Coast Guard husband is getting sent to USGC Staten Island and he owns one handgun , I told him to find out what he has to do to comply with NY law , The dumb ass said it going to be on Base so it shouldn't matter , So any of you New York fellas know what he needs to do .

Suggest he call his new base and check with them if he'll be allowed to even possess it there, it's extremely difficult to get a NYC permit. Could be they have special courtesies/exceptions for active military but it's doubtful. Unless things have changed, even active and retired LEOs from outside the city had restrictions from carrying in NYC; gun laws there are draconian.

don't do it.

illegal to touch a handgun in NY state without a valid NYC or NY pistol permit.

new york has two systems - one for nyc and the rest of the state.

in the five boroughs the NYPD issues pistol permits.  

outside the five boroughs, the county judges issue state pistol permits.

it takes a year to get a permit in NYC and many parts of the state.

while on duty with an issued handgun is one thing, but a personally owned weapon is entirely another.

don't do it.

I grew up on Long Island a long long time ago and in to guns back than and knew about how hard it was to get a handgun permit and that NYC was a world of its own , I've loosely kept track over the years and see it's the same chit . I'll be telling him to leave it with his Father in Law my son 

my son looked into bringing his shotgun to Ny when he lived there. It would have cost him at least $200. just to bring it from Conecticut to Ny, he ended up moving to Georgia

On 8/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, lurejunkie00 said:

my son looked into bringing his shotgun to Ny when he lived there. It would have cost him at least $200. just to bring it from Conecticut to Ny, he ended up moving to Georgia

Georgia is a great place to live  , 3 years now and the only thing I miss is really fresh seafood