bobber

need new rain jacket- what does everyone recommend?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

just got soaked with my old raincoat after a day of steady (but not pouring) rain while largemouth fishing.   would like to keep it around $250.....  not too picky abut brands or styles-   just needs to keep me DRY

appreciate the advice

I don't have an answer for you, but I'd avoid any of the LLBean Tek materials.  I tried three of them last summer and they all were less than useless, even in light rain.

Just to stay dry, I have a gortex jacket from my corps days. Damn thing still works so why buy a new one.

IMO,find a nice gortex 

Sorry guys......I have had the  LLBean Emerger( I believe that is the name) for about the last 6 years and love it. Breathable Goretex fabric , plenty of pockets , lite weight so I can wear it in summer as well as layer up and wear it during the winter........and it has adjustable latex cuffs and a very great adjustable hood.......great jacket. The only negative would be I wish it was a tad longer. I wear it all winter in wet weather or walking the sand bars and my surf belt keeps everything fine , never as issue........but a little longer would be great.......just an opinion.

1 hour ago, bobber said:

just got soaked with my old raincoat after a day of steady (but not pouring) rain while largemouth fishing.   would like to keep it around $250.....  not too picky abut brands or styles-   just needs to keep me DRY

appreciate the advice

Ill save you 150 bucks....columbia or orvis...have had both for years with minimal issue

I like to stay with a jacket that uses actual Goretex material  Still the best. You can find closeout Simms at the $250 level.  I would go with that.

I bought rain jacket from Columbia do t think it’s gotetex 35$ sweat stays inside. Find a goretex like mentioned. It will cost but you will be happy happy. I used a north face for awhile which treated me well too. It had a collapsible hood and Velcro on the cuffs. The pockets eventually ripped from lures but it did shed the water . 

Bobber - check out Cabelas Guidewear series. They are fully waterproof and offer a few different jackets depending on how warm you are looking for. Also, Cabelas still backs their gear (unlike Bean) so if it fails you can just return it for a new one. I have a super light water proof jacket from them that is over 10 years old. A few years ago it started seaping and I applied a goretex refresher and it's back to 100% water proof. 

Personally, I am a naturist. So when I fish, I like fishing to be a full body experience... One with nature if you will.

Just kidding. Get a StormR.

Found a deal on a Simms Transom 3 layer Goretex jacket   1/2 price.  should be all set.

thanks all for your input

5 hours ago, bobber said:

appreciate the advice

Get an army poncho, get 2 and you have a tent.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, jettyjmpr said:

Ill save you 150 bucks....columbia or orvis...have had both for years with minimal issue

I agree :th:

I paid 40 bucks for a Columbia breathable rain jacket at dicks, it's going on something like 5 or 6 yrs now...

I use this thing everywhere,  got it a size larger to fit over my jacket or dry top, i even throw it on over the dry suit out in the kayak when the rains start, it's made well & does what it needs to do, keeps you dry with out sweating.

You don't need to spend stupid money to stay dry unless you really think you need to..

Edited by BillZ
stupid phone changed my spelling.... again

Outdoor research’s foray is an awesome gore Tex jacket, it’s a little less than your price range and backed by an awesome warranty. Arc’teryx Beta SL is a very close second. I have them both and love them both equally for different reasons.