Is My Reel Causing Wind Knots

Rate this topic

Hi All,

For this season and half of last season I've been having this problem with wind knots and it not going away.  I mostly fish surf and back bay in southern RI.  This is happening when I go to a half oz lure or surface lure that doesn't have much drag like a jumping minnow.  I used to be able to throw unweighted Albie Snax without a problem.  I'm posing here because I have switched my pole out three times and changed line 4 times, each pole was rated for at least 1/2oz, so I'm starting to think its the reel.  The lines have all been 30# test, the reel is a Quantum 5000 PTSE bought new in 2015.  It has seen lot of use but is still in great working order, and the line roller seems fine.  It was starting to get more line towards the top of the spool so I recently added a shim and now the line lays nice and flat vertically on the spool.  But just last night I lost 20yds after the second cast of a 1/2oz Hogy jig, the current rod is a 9' Lami Carbon Surf.   I'm ready to change out the reel but I want to search for answers first.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Every Sunrise A Victory

Your patriotism is not determined by the size of your flag or how vigorously you wave it in someone's face.  Any as$hole can fly a flag.

20 mins ago, fishhappy said:

When is the last time you responded?

Not sure what you are referring too.

Every Sunrise A Victory

Your patriotism is not determined by the size of your flag or how vigorously you wave it in someone's face.  Any as$hole can fly a flag.

About two weeks ago, I re-spooled with Power Pro regular.  I did it at home with a power drill so it goes straight from spool to spool.  The time before that it was done at a shop.

Edited by Dreamland

Every Sunrise A Victory

1 hour ago, Dreamland said:

Hi All,

For this season and half of last season I've been having this problem with wind knots and it not going away.  I mostly fish surf and back bay in southern RI.  This is happening when I go to a half oz lure or surface lure that doesn't have much drag like a jumping minnow.  I used to be able to throw unweighted Albie Snax without a problem.  I'm posing here because I have switched my pole out three times and changed line 4 times, each pole was rated for at least 1/2oz, so I'm starting to think its the reel.  The lines have all been 30# test, the reel is a Quantum 5000 PTSE bought new in 2015.  It has seen lot of use but is still in great working order, and the line roller seems fine.  It was starting to get more line towards the top of the spool so I recently added a shim and now the line lays nice and flat vertically on the spool.  But just last night I lost 20yds after the second cast of a 1/2oz Hogy jig, the current rod is a 9' Lami Carbon Surf.   I'm ready to change out the reel but I want to search for answers first.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks

Topic on this very subject already.  Look it up, people responded who know their stuff.  In the Main IIRC?

Edited by richie c

Thanks for the heads up.  Also, sorry for being slow on the uptake, would you mind sending a link?  I don't know what the Main IIRC is, and I cant find a recent topic when searching reel causing wind knots.

Thanks

Every Sunrise A Victory

IIRC= "If I Remember Correctly" 

Main= "Main Surftalk Forums"

This has to be a line lay issue. I have a Stradic FK5000 never gotten a windknot. But with my Penn reels it happens a lot. So I think it is a line lay issue. Perhaps some line is getting tucked in the bottom of the spool. 

Or maybe the reel wasn't spooled tight enough and line is getting embedded after catching big fish. 

Or it could be something else. 

1 hour ago, Dreamland said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Also, sorry for being slow on the uptake, would you mind sending a link?  I don't know what the Main IIRC is, and I cant find a recent topic when searching reel causing wind knots.

Thanks

you have to say where the wing knot acure,hard cast,light cast.

when it acure at the end cast,you doing that,when you close bail pull on line,the line will jump in spool,if you do not,the bail close and the line is on top off spool,it wine few turns on the knob and the reel oscilate up and down it jump in spool,now you have few lose turns on top off spool,when you cast they grab line any time to cose the knot.

when it acure from begining,the reel is cosing that,

first cast,light cast,secon cast longest cast and put fingers on line to reel in tight,you have to do that every 30 minutes..

you can search under my name,i responded to few wing knots.

Thanks for all the input so far.  I'll get some pics up soon.

I Just got back in from a very productive fishing afternoon/evening.  During this outing, I think I might have seen the issue.  My older (back up) pole, that never had an issue, had the older guide layout.  On the Carbon Surf, the distance from the spool to the first guide is 33", on the older pole it is 22".

While casting and retrieving a 1oz Exo Jig today there was no problem, with loose line, but when I switched to an Albie Snax I could see that stretch of line, from the spool to the first eye, sag and go on loosely and even loop one time.  This also happens with poppers and other surface lures that can leave a little slack when you are playing them.  It think this is actually the issue.  How does everyone else deal with this?

Every Sunrise A Victory

Sorry for the delay, I changed out the 5K spool for a 4K spool just because it was full and wanted to fish it for a while to get an accurate representation.  Good info and thanks for the link LB, I'm a manual flipper, and always glace down to be sure there is no loop.

The knots vary from about 2 yards deep to about 10 yards deep and I still got one on this spool with an Albie Snax but the spool was pretty full, and it was dark out.  I'm confident that the distance from the spool to the first eye is the issue.  I watched it in action, any slack caused by a light lure or playing a surface spook like Albie Snax causes that section of line to sag and go on loose or loop on.  It never happens with a 3/4 oz or above lure, or a lure that grabs, unless you play/work/jig the lure and cause slack in the line.  On this pole that, span of line goes much further than any other span, without making any contact with an eye.

Am considdering both dropping to 20lb test line, or going with fireline.

Does this seem to make sense or is there somthing I'm missing?

20200818_085919(1).jpg

Every Sunrise A Victory

To me, you have just a little to much line, l like the spool full but that is an accident waiting to happen, you have to back down on the line to where the bottom of the taper on the front lip starts. 

l never liked the new front lips you would be alright.

Stright lip l guess old style lip.

20200819_130614.jpg.0bf7b41c0c3a846445a8775be00db14e.jpg

lf l was you l would back it down to the mark l made.

Inked20200818_085919(1).jpg.2cda7075afd9aa0d6cf8343fa669c112_LI.jpg.0fbc7f13aaee9305241635512628b0fe.jpg

My 2 cents.

I though I went a little heavy on this one, definitely more than 2 cents of advice, thanks LB.  The other spool was so low that I had to strip it out and am going to add backing. 

I've been doing my best to be aware of the sag on the line between the spool and the first eye, and so far so good.   Also, the rotor nut was a little loose on this reel, and there was a very slight wobble.  I just took care of that.

Every Sunrise A Victory