Bass Ackwards

Dexcom G6 Continuous Glucose Monitoring System

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anybody here using it to monitor your blood sugar levels? I just started using one about 4 months ago and ready to throw it against the wall. The thing is great, works far better than pricking my fingers multiple times daily, just dealing with medicare is driving me crazy. Only one pharmacy chain in Connecticut can sell them for medicare, Walgreens.

There are basicly 2 parts to the system, a sensor and a monitor.

The sensor attaches directly to the body and lasts EXACTLY 10 days IF IT DOESN'T FALL OFF. Half of the ones I've used came unstuck and fell off 5 to 8 days after being attached. They can't be reattached, a new one must be used. These are prescription items so the pharmacy won't sell them as I need them, must wait close to the 30 days (they come 3 to a box)

The monitor also has a limited life span that's EXACT. I don't remember how long that is but my monitor started "talking" to me about 3 weeks ago saying the battery only has 30 days of life left. It's a rechargeable battery that can't be replaced, a new monitor must be bought. It's a prescription item, 3 weeks ago my doctor called in the prescription. Medicare has not OKed it yet, the pharmacy is waiting on their approval. I have exactly 9 days left till it stops working.

I'm 70 years old, been on an insulin pump for over 43 years, one of the first on a pump. When I first started using the pump I felt like throwing it against the wall for the physical discomfort I had to endure, Now I have mental discomfort to endure while waiting for medicare approval.:banghd:

55 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Anybody here using it to monitor your blood sugar levels? I just started using one about 4 months ago and ready to throw it against the wall. The thing is great, works far better than pricking my fingers multiple times daily, just dealing with medicare is driving me crazy. Only one pharmacy chain in Connecticut can sell them for medicare, Walgreens.

There are basicly 2 parts to the system, a sensor and a monitor.

The sensor attaches directly to the body and lasts EXACTLY 10 days IF IT DOESN'T FALL OFF. Half of the ones I've used came unstuck and fell off 5 to 8 days after being attached. They can't be reattached, a new one must be used. These are prescription items so the pharmacy won't sell them as I need them, must wait close to the 30 days (they come 3 to a box)

The monitor also has a limited life span that's EXACT. I don't remember how long that is but my monitor started "talking" to me about 3 weeks ago saying the battery only has 30 days of life left. It's a rechargeable battery that can't be replaced, a new monitor must be bought. It's a prescription item, 3 weeks ago my doctor called in the prescription. Medicare has not OKed it yet, the pharmacy is waiting on their approval. I have exactly 9 days left till it stops working.

I'm 70 years old, been on an insulin pump for over 43 years, one of the first on a pump. When I first started using the pump I felt like throwing it against the wall for the physical discomfort I had to endure, Now I have mental discomfort to endure while waiting for medicare approval.:banghd:

I considered it as opposed to 2 sticks a day for testing and one stick at nite for insulin but it woulda been $140 a month more[sfter insurance!] on my plan

I chose the safer contested[for me] route as it was working.

sorry for your issues

2 mins ago, MarkG said:

I considered it as opposed to 2 sticks a day for testing and one stick at nite for insulin but it woulda been $140 a month more[sfter insurance!] on my plan

I chose the safer contested[for me] route as it was working.

sorry for your issues

It's a fantastic device, I like it a lot. I can check my BS a bazillion times a day/night just by pushing a button on the monitor. It's sitting on my desk right next to me recharging now, if my BS gets too low or high it will warn me as it recharges. It's just medicaire causing me mental anguish.:banghd:

I'm using the Libre system.  When I have had one fall off or bumped it off on the door frame, arm use only, I call the company and they send a new one.  Have used the dexcoms before and liked they communicated even when I was asleep.  I would alarm before getting to 32 at night.  Now I have to scan to tell where I am but love not having all the sticks.  I am still using the insulin four time a day and pretty happy with the puck.  There are skin prep's you can use, also can use a clear dressing over the dexcom.  

21 mins ago, ScottO said:

I'm using the Libre system.  When I have had one fall off or bumped it off on the door frame, arm use only, I call the company and they send a new one.  Have used the dexcoms before and liked they communicated even when I was asleep.  I would alarm before getting to 32 at night.  Now I have to scan to tell where I am but love not having all the sticks.  I am still using the insulin four time a day and pretty happy with the puck.  There are skin prep's you can use, also can use a clear dressing over the dexcom.  

What kind of a clear dressing, can you give a link to what you're talking about? The sensor also gets reused every 10 days so you don't want sticky adhesive on it.

Tegraderm is one brand, walmart sells packs for less, I have never had a problem just peeling the cover off when switching sites.  Can cut a center out of it once covering the whole dexcom set up.  I didn't, just peeled it off.  Give it a shot.  Might be just what you are looking for.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are quite a few items available both from Dexcom and from other sources that can help. Dexcom will send you overlay patches, and more importantly, will send you replacements for any failures, even if it's obviously your fault. The transmitters are only supposed to last for 90 days. Keep track of when you start one up. If they don't make it to the 90 day mark, call them and they will send you another. You'll have to wait on hold every time you call them, but They have been super nice and helpful, every time I have called them. Five star company  for sure.

Edited by Stewie
fix my error

2 mins ago, Stewie said:

There are quite a few items available both from Dexcom and from other sources that can help. Dexcom will send you overlay patches, and more importantly, will send you replacements for any failures, even if it's obviously your fault. The receivers are only supposed to last for 90 days. Keep track of when you start one up. If they don't make it to the 90 day mark, call them and they will send you another. You'll have to wait on hold every time you call them, but They have been super nice and helpful, every time I have called them. Five star company  for sure.

I'm not having problems with Dexcom, I'm having problems with medicare. They have had two weeks to say yes or no for a prescription refill. I think I have 8 days till my receiver no longer works.

1 hour ago, ScottO said:

Tegraderm is one brand, walmart sells packs for less, I have never had a problem just peeling the cover off when switching sites.  Can cut a center out of it once covering the whole dexcom set up.  I didn't, just peeled it off.  Give it a shot.  Might be just what you are looking for.  

I just bought a box of Tegraderm on line. The centers don't have adhesive, it's just around the edges so they should work perfectly. Thank you

The receiver is rechargeable, When you get the 3 week message, they are talking about the transmitter that goes into the sensor. I have had the same receiver for years.

9 hours ago, Stewie said:

The receiver is rechargeable, When you get the 3 week message, they are talking about the transmitter that goes into the sensor. I have had the same receiver for years.

Are you sure on that, it sounds like you are. The very first time I got the message it said the battery had 3 weeks. Deffinately said battery which confused me as I charge it as needed regularly. Today I'll put in a prescription refil for the transmitter and see what happens. It needs a doctors authority which they can get tomorrow.

Yep, it's the transmitter, Like I said before, when you get the new one, mark the calendar the day you start it up, and also count out 90 days and mark that date on the calendar. If the transmitter doesn't last the full 90, they'll send you another.

On 8/16/2020 at 8:08 AM, Stewie said:

Yep, it's the transmitter, Like I said before, when you get the new one, mark the calendar the day you start it up, and also count out 90 days and mark that date on the calendar. If the transmitter doesn't last the full 90, they'll send you another.

Thank you for your help Stewie. I called the pharmacy today, the lady called medicare and was told the Receiver gets replaced every 3 years and the transmitter was approved. I'll be able to get it by end of day.

FWIW my son in on the Dexcom G6 and also uses a Medtronic G630. We are constantly battling Medtronic, Dexcom, the pharmacy and the insurance company. He's an active kid who is hard on stuff, and insets, sensors, transmitters NEVER last as long as they say they should, so we continuously run out of various components. It shouldn't be this hard, but it is. 

My son uses one and I think he has it synced to his I Phone. Has an insulin pump also. Type 1 diagnosed when he was 15. Missed 2 weeks of hockey and then back at it. Played Juniors in Ontario and Texas. Now he is playing D! at RPI. My avitar.