Reel advice

Rate this topic

Eeeeels

I have been saving my pennies and jusy bought an ODM 9 dna surf rod. I need a reel for it. 30lb PP line. Plugging, eeling.......

need something light weight.

VS and the like is WAY to expensive. 
Any opinions and experience (pros/cons) is appreciated

Thanks

Eeeeels

Edited by Eeeeels

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

The penn slammer 3 is growing on me for a surf duty reel. They are a little on the heavier side so I went with the smaller 4500. Smooth reel. Brass gearing very durable. Sealed although not near VS standards. But good enough for splashing with sand amd water. Very simple to tear down and maintain. If you need something lighter penn conflict 2. Super light. 

Edited by adams54

6 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

I have been saving my pennies and jusy bought an ODM 9 dna surf rod. I need a reel for it. 30lb PP line. Plugging, eeling.......

Thanks

Eeeeels

Same.  I bought a slammer iii 4500 last year for 9' Tica.  Love it.  I'm more of a low cost guy and was going to get the Spinfisher vi but I liked the larger round knob on the slammer and the extra EVA knob it comes with.  The EVA doesn't transmit cold to my hand in November and December.  More importantly it works great and has a substantial feel.  I also use it on my 7'6" fluke rod.

i have a Tsunami Shield 4000 on a 7' rod and it's no comparison to the slammer.  

I like the sealed reels as I space out sometimes and get splashed a lot.

5 hours ago, adams54 said:

The penn slammer 3 is growing on me for a surf duty reel. They are a little on the heavier side so I went with the smaller 4500. Smooth reel. Brass gearing very durable. Sealed although not near VS standards. But good enough for splashing with sand amd water. Very simple to tear down and maintain. If you need something lighter penn conflict 2. Super light. 

^  ^  ^

Good advice right there. I have both the 4500 and the 5500 and they are great reels that will outlive you. I also have the a couple of the new Spinfishers, and they are very nice too. Just a little less HD than the Slammer.

5 hours ago, adams54 said:

I love the slammer 3. Have both the 3500 and 4500. Use the 3500 with my 8’ and 4500 with my 9’. Yes, they’re a bit heavy but durable. 

8 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

Thanks

Eeeeels

If you're dunking your reel alot check out the Tsunami SaltX...... If not I'd go with a Shimano Stradic 4000. Reliable and no wind knots. If on a budget I'd check out a Daiwa BG. 

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, we're going down

i have 2 spinfisher vi 4500s and a daiwa ballistic 6000. the spinfishers are more compact but heavier. the ballistic may seem cheap and plasticy but its not. hauled in plenty of fish and survived getting dragged into the ocean. the spinfisher has been finnicky with noises and knocks. the ballistic retreive is very slow though.

One thing I forgot to mention about the slammer is it has a very high speed retrieve. I think mine has 42in per crank. I fish super slow most of the time but sometimes its nice to be able to burn it in like when a bird goes after it. It also has a slight knock due to the oscillating slider block which is normal. I imagine the shimano doesnt have that particular feature.

Edited by adams54

Thanks gents

i think I’m gonna go with Penn. Been fishing them since I began in the 90’s.

The only bad Penn reels I had were the run of the ss line with the graphite bodies. The flexomatics. They actually bent when you had a fish on. 
 Again thanks a lot !!!!!

Eeeeels

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:52 PM, DeeMonee said:

I love the slammer 3. Have both the 3500 and 4500. Use the 3500 with my 8’ and 4500 with my 9’. Yes, they’re a bit heavy but durable. 

Good info to know for when I'm fishing your area. Anyone with a slammer will get a "heeeeyyy it's deemonee!" After a few tries and crazy stares I'm sure I'll get it right.

Edited by adams54