Scott Charlton

Ah...August in Maine

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

The more than tepid temperatures make the rewarding breeze off the ocean so humbling...the smell of peaches about to harvest makes one smile...and the crack in your basement dehumidifier that you didn’t notice until 4 days after you turned it on as you a tad displeased....

anyone recommend a good wet vac?  And new dehumidifier?  Ideally one with a garden hose a can drain into my sump?  I lucked out big time, I caught this before the water got to anything.

4 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

The more than tepid temperatures make the rewarding breeze off the ocean so humbling...the smell of peaches about to harvest makes one smile...and the crack in your basement dehumidifier that you didn’t notice until 4 days after you turned it on as you a tad displeased....

anyone recommend a good wet vac?  And new dehumidifier?  Ideally one with a garden hose a can drain into my sump?  I lucked out big time, I caught this before the water got to anything.

Peaches??  Boy that is Southern Maine, although this summer I think they'd thrive anywhere in the state.

To the matter at hand, ALL newer dehumidifiers SUCK.  After their 1 year warranty is up, it's the luck of the draw as to whether or not it's going to die tomorrow.  My record lifespan is 3 years, most crapping out after 2.  Since they cost $ to drop off at the Transfer Station, I usually have a dead one lined up in the basement like I do right now.

To make matters worse, they're only manufactured by a couple of different companies, although they're models for many companies.  If you look carefully at them, you'll see it's all the same chassis with different skins and decor.  Think of GM in the 70s and 80s.  

The "good" news is virtually all of them can be hooked up to a hose and here's some real advice for that application.

• The flow of water condensate if very slow so you must take steps to ensure that flow is unimpeded as gunk can grow in the hose and stop it up.  You'll know this is happening when you find your "Tank Full" light on even though it's hooked up to the hose, and the unit shut off because the tank IS full.

• So what do you do?  Here are some of my time-tested tricks
    • Put the unit up on a platform to increase the vertical between the unit and the hose, this will make the flow faster.  I have mine up on a milk crate.  Because of the weight you'll need a sturdy platform.
    • Use a very short hose, no long lengths and no curves, places where water can collect and grow stuff.  Take one of those old leaky garden hoses you have around and cut it just to the needed length.
    • Frequently check your hose flow.  If it's slow or stopped up, take it off cup the end in your fist and BLOW HARD to shoot out any accumulated junk.

7 hours ago, Scott Charlton said:

Holy crap thanks for this!  So if they all suck, the Walmart 229 is about as good as the Lowe’s 300?

Yup, and they probably came out of the same factory...

You need a pump?  Something else for extra fun.  I've never had the "pleasure", just bought 70 pt units, 4 in the last 10 years...

Posted (edited) · Report post

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished...

So I went into the basement today for the first time in a couple of days and I immediately say to myself, "Hmmm, it's HUMID down here!  I hope it's just the dehumidifier condensate hose clogged up?"  Walk over to the unit and the "Tank Full" light is on so yes, the hose got clogged, no biggie, just a minor PITA which took 10 min to fix. 

But as any Ginsu commercial would shout, "But WAIT!!!  There's MORE!!!"  As I turned a corner I see a HUGE puddle underneath my Heat/AC air handler.  "Ugggghhhh, the damn condensate pump is screwed up!" and sure enough, it was.  Now this was more than a minor PITA, but the short answer is its hose was also a bit clogged so I cleared that and was relieved to find out the pump, and its float valve was working fine.

A double clog within hours of each other.  Maybe I should buy some lottery tickets???

Edited by Roccus7

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have never had a dehumidifier last more than 3 years. However, I would advise you that before you junk yours to look it up for recalls. There were quite a few that were being recalled and replaced or provided a check or rebate off another new one. They will make you take a pic of the dehumidifier with the cord cut and give you something to write with a marker on the unit to authenticate that it is yours and not just a reused pic. I did this last time and got $200 towards a new one. Their replacement was a mystery unit and I did not want that. ...and mine was out of warranty by at least a year but because it was a fire vulnerability they provided me a check with no hassle. 

What sucks is that a dehumidifier works almost just like and AC and does not last nearly as long. I suspect something has to be different though. I would imagine it is due to having wet parts that stay wet and affects it to a greater degree. That or we run them longer and harder continuously than we do AC units? 

Edited by NHAngler