RiverRaider

Blink,Ring,Nest Etc... How Useful Do You Find Them?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Talking video security \ monitoring here

I picked up a Blink bundle off Amazon (two cameras and the Sync Module) 

After about a week I see their utility, not great for anything "Live" but useful just the same for letting me know when (for instance) someone pulls into the drive 

I'm a little disappointed with the "lag" in alerts but not so disappointed that I regret them

What are you guys using (if anything) 

47 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Talking video security \ monitoring here

I picked up a Blink bundle off Amazon (two cameras and the Sync Module) 

After about a week I see their utility, not great for anything "Live" but useful just the same for letting me know when (for instance) someone pulls into the drive 

I'm a little disappointed with the "lag" in alerts but not so disappointed that I regret them

What are you guys using (if anything) 

Ring works for us....they all are tricky to set up but customer svs talked me thru it

Got something cheap to monitor the house. Wyze is easy to use and cheap.

3 Cameras and they do good on alerts.

I’m looking at trying to get more WiFi range.. would have liked to have had the cameras looking toward the property I think 

not familiar with night owl:read:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ring hardwired spotlights on the home wifi work fine, provided they can find sufficient signal strength. The booster has helped. I think once they have some burn in time the signal strength increases.

The live view is fine. You can turn the light on and off, has a speaker you can talk to someone at the location. The fine tuning is sufficient, you can adjust them to a clearly defined perimeter for motion detection. 

The subscription model for the archival of footage is abysmal. Not worth it. You should save your own event files if you need to. 

Might be a bit pricey, but I'm adding another one to the house. I have two now.

Edited by mybeach

Simply Safe, have the whole house security system and a couple of the cameras in the two areas anyone would have to pass to break into the house. For $25/month plus cost of equipment I found it to be the most economical and practical way to go. Cameras are decent, not the best but enough to identify a **** bird.

3 mins ago, mybeach said:

Ring hardwired spotlights on the home wifi work fine, provided they can find sufficient signal strength. The booster has helped

One of the Blink cameras is struggling with signal strength even though it’s about the same distance as the other, I’m gonna play around with it tomorrow see If I can get better results 

I think my wife went with slow WiFi option with Xfinity as well, I’m sure that doesn’t help overall 

5 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Simply Safe, have the whole house security system and a couple of the cameras in the two areas anyone would have to pass to break into the house. For $25/month plus cost of equipment I found it to be the most economical and practical way to go. Cameras are decent, not the best but enough to identify a **** bird.

Does simpli safe do the whole call the PD thing ? Is it an alarm system? 

7 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Wait till the false alarms starting off.   I thought you know this already, if they want in, they will find a way. Fast too. 

4 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Yes. They send a guidance counselor first, then a social worker.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

Yep. My son entered the wrong pin once and local PD was there in under 5 minutes. Really impressed by the company, I dealt with all of them over the years as a dispatcher and cop, and Simply Safe has been one of the easiest to work with.

Edited by IsmailG

4 mins ago, hobobob said:

Wait till the false alarms starting off.   I thought you know this already, if they want in, they will find a way. Fast too. 

? Had it for 2 years, not one false alarm. I think it's the benefit of having a wireless system.  Over my 8 years on the job, and the hundreds of false alarms, every one has been ADT.