BitterDave

What pound test braid are you guys using for stripers?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a striper setup for surf fishing along the San Francisco and San Mateo Coast.  What pound braid are you guys are using?  I was planning on using 20 lbs braid but was told that anything under 30 lbs will end up digging into itself if I hookup on a large striper.  Is this really an issue?  Besides abrasion resistance, what are the benefits of using a heavier braid?  I plan to throw between .75 - 3 oz lures and will be running 15' of 15-20 lbs shock leader.

l down sized this year with my PP line from 40lb to 30lb and l using 20lb on 3500 size reel to get some more distance and l did get more distance with less effort,l have not had any problem with line digging in but l haven't had any fish over 20 lbs yet this year, reels that you could have a problem with is reels with slow oscillation coils lay next to each other, most reels have an X pattern.  

i use 60 or 65 braid..my reel holds about 300 yards of it.. i use a 2-3 foot mono leader from 60-100 lbs depending,,, tied to a big ass tuna sized swivel..  the reason the heavier braid doest cut my finger throwing 2.75 to 3 oz wood,,, i dont have any problem with distance.... i have enough rod, reel and line to tackle hatever sized bass tries to eat my plug.. 

i can also grab my huge ass swivel and drag the fish up to a safe place to unhook which i have done countless times.. the big ass swivel also slaps around in front of the plug kind of like a teaser... looks like surf smelt sprinkling..

12 hours ago, ghostfish slayer said:

i can also grab my huge ass swivel and drag the fish up to a safe place to unhook which i have done countless times.. the big ass swivel also slaps around in front of the plug kind of like a teaser... looks like surf smelt sprinkling..

I'll go with 40 - 50# braid (usually Power Pro)  & 4'  of 60 - 80# mono.  I will also use a big 2/0 swivel for the same exact reasons as GF Slayer.    As a side note:..... if your throwing 3 oz plugs with 20 - 30# braid & throw a loop that hangs up on a guide........."SNAP GOES THE LINE" .... kiss your favorite plug good bye.......(I'll find it later washed up on the beach) ......I use tape on my finger to avoid cutting my sissy soft fingers...  lighter lines will get you a bit more distance.....especially with lighter weight plugs..... BUT............... for me the trade off is not worth it. 

2 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

I'll go with 40 - 50# braid (usually Power Pro)  & 4'  of 60 - 80# mono.  I will also use a big 2/0 swivel for the same exact reasons as GF Slayer.    As a side note:..... if your throwing 3 oz plugs with 20 - 30# braid & throw a loop that hangs up on a guide........."SNAP GOES THE LINE" .... kiss your favorite plug good bye.......(I'll find it later washed up on the beach) ......I use tape on my finger to avoid cutting my sissy soft fingers...  lighter lines will get you a bit more distance.....especially with lighter weight plugs..... BUT............... for me the trade off is not worth it. 

Same here, don't want tear my hands up that would put an end to my sex life.

3 hours ago, Mike Fixter said:

Never thought about that. Thanks for sharing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depends.  One size does not fit all.  Depends on the situation.  Sandy beaches and clean water or rock piles and kelp balls?  Predominant size of fish targeted.  Time of year.  Will distance be a factor?

Please don't flame me, but I typically start off the season in March with 6 lb performance braid.  Fish are usually under 5 lb. and if the bite is off, I'll switch to perch.  The beaches I fish are sandy and clean this time of year.  Typically all I toss is light plastic and bucktails.

April through May is the heart of schoolie season and I'll step it up to 10 lb performance braid where an occasional 10-15 lb fish may be encountered.  In addition to light plastics and jigs, I'll add Swarters, Jumpin' minnows SP's and maybe a small pencil to the  arsenal.

Sometime in June I'll switch it up to 15 lb. performance braid as the schoolie season wains.  Fishing gets tougher, but the size of the fish gets better come July.

As the season progresses I'll begin to do more night fishing.  If the water is clean I can get by with 15 lb. performance braid, but typically at this time of year, weeds and grass come with a south swell so 14 lb Fireline or 20 lb performance braid is more likely.

Some years, a run of large fish come through from mid September through October and 30 lb performance braid gets the call.

Don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm a shill for Performance Braid.  I just happen to get a crapload of it then they were closing it out in favor of 832 at some places.

Of course no discussion of line is complete without an honest appraisal or assessment of one's knot tying ability.  A good knot in 20 lb. may out test a bad knot in 30 lb.

For example:

With new performance braid I typically get 11 lb knot break strength with 6 lb. and 18 lb knot break strength with 10 lb. but also be aware that it is a dynamic situation as the braid wears in.  After a good a good amount of use and break in, 6 lb Performance braid will drop to 9 lb. and 10 performance braid will drop to 14 lb.

I suppose the main takeaway from this last bit is to test well broken in line for knot break strength and use this as your benchmark as it is much more realistic than all those published new line ABS and KBS figures.  Line is only new once.  I know that realistically comparisons between manufactures can only be made with new lines and as such I most heartily recommend reading Aquaholik's body of work.

Edited by bass11
spelling

I fish a sandy beach with few, if any, ricks or other hard structure. Since the fish I see are generally under 15 lbs, I find 20 pound pp and 30 pound leader to be fine. If I’m fishing more rocks I’ll fish 30 pound pp with 50 lb leader. If I were fish someplace really rocky, I’d consider something in the 40-60 pound range as GFS and Mike use.  I direct tie a 5-6 foot mono leader. 

Here’s an interesting little tidbit. Was fishing the incoming  Friday night and was slowly fishing a stick bait across the bottom. I was using the 20lb power pro and 30 lb leader combo because I was dealing with a cross wind.  Somehow I managed to snag a passing seal. My first!

It started peeling line like a record marlin. When I first grabbed the spool to break the line nothing happened, everything held. The 20 lb braid, the 30 lb leader, all my knots; they all held. Finally, on the second or third try,  the lure pulled free. I got my whole rig back. On inspecting my lure I found both trebles had hooks broken off.

So, note to self, upgrade hooks. On the other hand, it shows that lighter tests may be sufficient if your line is in good shape, and rocks aren’t a big issue. 

I used 30lbs braided main line, i was using 25lbs floro leader, lost a big fish when i tried dragging it on the sand a little, leader snapped, wave took the fish and my plug. LessonS learned, one being heavier leader line, i use 50lbs mono now. I will probably need to upgrade my line to 40lbs for the bigger plugs soon. 

20 lb pp super slick with 2 ft pink 30 lb flourocarbon direct tie back bays

30lb pp super slick with 3.5-4ft 50lb pink fourocarbon around jetties and beach on south shore

not to sound snobby  all i do is go with my big old ash shtuff to only target 1 fish from the surf.. specifically that one over a certain size.. on big top water plugs..i do it for that one reason..no dink fishing no perch fishing. rather spend my time in my boat out in the ocean or be standing knee deep in a river catching salmon or steelhead then to bother with that .. thats just me...

15lb 832 braid on my Calissa/LC rod. That's a 2500 B2 on a 10'6" fate rod.

20lb mono on my jigging/perch jerking rod. That's a Lew's BB2 on a 9'6" loomis.