Quonnie

Fly Fishing from Shore

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So I will be down again this fall dfirst week of October with three other guys. All fly fishermen, we had a ball last year catching mid sized schoolie stripers on surf candy fro shore. Looking to get these guys into some larger fish. What patterns would you recommend, Flatwings, Clousers, Big Ellies. Fishing, Sandeels,   fishing primarily the South Shore from Napatree to 'Gansett all from shore. I have a felling the answer is yes, but still would like some input. Thank you in advance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The largest profile you can throw.  Tony Stetzko always mentioned casting a fly that will “push water” for a better shot at larger bass.  

Edited by DZ

So I will be tying Eel punts,Razzel-Dazzel some Big Eelie. What about sand eel patterns and crab patterns, still looking for a good baby flounder pattern, I have plenty of shrimp patterns which should work well in the salt pond flats

12 mins ago, Quonnie said:

What about crab patterns, still looking for a good baby flounder pattern.

Jerry,

Crab and flounder patterns are just not productive in RI salt ponds unless you want to expand your tying skills.

Sure you might catch a fish, just not worth the time. There are much more prevalent food supply around the ponds and fiddlers.

How many people fish squid patterns?  Not many, but I find those patterns productive even in the day time.

Shrimp patterns can be effective in the spring around mussle bars and spatina grass. Not so much in the fall.

Thank you Ray Iw ill skip the crab and flounder patterns what have you found to be the most productive squid  patterns? Although I must say I have not seen many squid in close to shore or stripers feeding on squid within fly casting distance.

44 mins ago, Quonnie said:

I like the heads on thise where did you get them.

Not mine - I pulled the photo of a Muskie web site that talked about sliders.  Years ago some of the fly crew on Block got smart at seeing how effective spin guys did with needles for large bass.  Sliders are basically fly rod needlefish.  Slow surface wake. 

1 hour ago, Quonnie said:

Right, do you use hollow flies much Ray?

I have 'em in my boxes onboard. Haven't use them much.

They do work fine. One of my best clients who pasted away maybe 6 years ago, used them with me, and had good success.