Belmarhobo

6 posts in this topic

Hi! I’m new here and new to saltwater fishing in general. I bought my yak last year and have been in the Shark River a few times with it. Caught a few fluke, (no keepers yet) and snappers. I’m pretty much a catch and release simply because I really don’t like to eat fish. I have a 13’ Old Town Predator that I got last year at the hunting fishing expo in Edison NJ and fitted it this year with a Humminbird Helix 5 and additional equipment. Love how it handles! Want to try other locations as the Shark River is small and really shallow. the inlet fishes well but need new horizons. Want to try the Raritan Bay. Any suggestions on areas to hit? Figure ill put in either at Union Beach or Keyport. All I have at the moment is an old Medium weight bass rod with 20# braid. It’s good for the fluke but could use some advice on tackle for blues and larger fish. 

Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Welcome aboard. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of suggestions on locations, but if you haven’t already, I’d recommend that you check out two YouTube channels: EliasVFishing and John Skinner Fishing. Both are loaded with good information. 

Hey man as far as tackle goes you can’t go wrong with the daiwa bg 3000 it’s about the size of other companies 3500-4000 with 15lbs of drag. More than enough to fight a gator blues or some nice stripers. I put it on a Shimano Talavera for jigging and I’m looking into another setup with the same real but the mag sealed version on a mojo yak rod.  I use 20# braid on it with a 30#-50# mono leader and I always go at least a 135# swivel I don’t see a reason to not use super strong swivel better save that broken off.  Any other questions about the salt feel free to keep em coming. Tight lines!