iwantmypie

South Shore Albies?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been wanting to target albies for a while now but haven't really put any effort into it. I'm always hearing reports out of Buzzards Bay and the Cape--curious how much further North they come. Not necessarily looking for any spot burns but has anyone ever had any luck in the Plymouth/Kingston/Duxbury area?

Edited by iwantmypie
grammar

Can't say I've ever targeted them up that far, or ever heard of anyone doing so either.

I guess this may be part of the reason it's become such a gong-show fishing for albies in recent years.  Limited range = more fisherman in tighter area.

It'll be interesting to see how this season goes with boat sales up 40% and more new anglers in the mix.

12 mins ago, boulderdash said:

I have only caught small ones mixed with mackerel

Were they actually False Albacore or Frigg's?

I'm not trying to be a wise a$$......it's a legitimate question.   

Now I’m kinda curious how far North they get. I’ve heard reports at MMA, assuming they cut through the Canal and at least are in CCB?

40 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

Now I’m kinda curious how far North they get. I’ve heard reports at MMA, assuming they cut through the Canal and at least are in CCB?

they usually don't stray too far from the canal. not saying one can't be caught accidentally on the south shore or further north but you would be wasting your time actually targeting them up there. now maybe in 5 years with global warming that will change....

A number of years ago (I don't recall the exact number of years, but this happened the same week the sailfish was caught in the canal), there was at least one albie caught up at plum island...the reason I phrase it 'at least one' is because the reports stated there was a blitz of them up there and 'everybody was catching', but I was told by Kay (RIP) at Surfland that the report was overblown and she could only confirm one stray that was caught ...

The fact that these two events (sailfish in the canal/albies at plum island) occurred in close proximity (time wise) was not surprising given that a huge warm water eddy was reported to have come inshore that week

I just want to clarify my previous post that I'm not advocating something that I know of happening once in the thirty something years I've lived up here qualifies as a 'viable fishery'....On the flip side, I think slowly but surely, bonito fishing north of the cape is trending towards becoming viable (though not there yet)